• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1008 No lights...again?

smokeeater495

I recently replaced the headlight switch on my 1986 M1008. I started it up on a cold morning and heard a "snap" sound from under the dash. I came back out a few minutes later to take off, pulled on the switch, no lights anywhere on the truck. Yes I understand how the blackout switch works. I researched on here and determined all lighting power goes through headlight switch. Installed new switch, all lights worked fine. I went out to start it this morning, cold 9f, no lights again. The heater blower motor does work. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Midnight Rider

It might be time to just replace the headlight harness with a new one. Before I sold mine, I kept losing my turn signals/headlights. I replaced the headlight switch thinking that was the culprit, but it didn't help. I just ended up ordering that heavy duty headlight harness kit from LMC and put it in. It was easy enough to install and it solved the issue. That was alot easier than trying to go through all of the wires to find the problem child.

1956_4x4

These trucks have a history of the fuse boxes going bad. They get a high resistance connection between the fuse and the holder and result in a melted fuse box. It would be a good thing to check.

Smitty

smokeeater495

The problem was a resettable 30 amp fuse that the breaker failed on. The fuse box itself was in good shape, no sign of resistance heating. Replaced with regular 30 amp fuse, good so far. I ordered the LMC relay harness yesterday. Going to try to install block heater and doghead's starter relay mod. tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks