• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1009 Build

What should I paint it?

• Flat black

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Rhino Line it black

Votes: 30 58.8%

• Total voters

dyocis

All the body work is done and its primered. Hopefully it will get painted sometime this week. All the rust on the top was cut out and replaced with new metal. The rest of the body was really straight and only needed a little sanding and a skim coat of filler to make straight. The doors still need to be adjusted and I have new strikers for it. The only thing I have left to figure out is the tail gate. I'm probably going to just by a new replacement for it, but looking in the scrap yards for one also.

Attachments

Last edited:

dyocis

The paint job is done. I've been out of town for about a month, so i havent seen the details. My friend sent me these pics.

The last big piece will be to put the lift and new axles underneath it. After that, it should be ready to come home!
IMAG0817.jpgIMAG0818.jpgIMAG0819.jpgIMAG0820.jpgIMAG0821.jpgIMAG0822.jpgIMAG0826.jpg

dyocis

Finally got the lift and 3/4 ton axles underneath her. Also replaced the head light adjustment tabs, headlights, tail light lenses, and the brake master cylinder. After the mechanic gets the brakes bled, she will be ready to run down the road. Still waiting on the title from the place I bought it. It hasn't been a big deal since so much work had to be done. She should be done by next weekend at the latest. Here's a crappy pic that you can't see any of the things I got done to it this weekend...Haha it does have the lift and axles underneath it though.Blazer_lift.jpg

dyocis

She looks beautiful! How much did you invest in her?
I don't have my book with me right now, but a rough estimate is 8 grand or so. That includes having the engine rebuilt, paint job, donor blazer for the axles and misc. parts. A couple of orders to LMC, glow plug card, HMMWV rims re-centered and powder-coated. I'll probably end up with about 10 grand into it when its all said and done, but I think it will be worth it.

I still need to order all the door and top gaskets and weather stripping, and get the inside rhino-lined. Once she's a solid driver, I will start putting all the finishing touches in...center console, standard radio, Ham radio, CB, scanner, antennas, rear drawers, roof rack, custom bumpers, tire carrier, winch, on-board air, lights, LED turn signals and markers, and I will need custom driver shafts to do anything off-road.

She will be a project for the next few years definitely. Now I have to get my Harley rebuilt so I can put more money into the blazer.

Racallahan1

I don't have my book with me right now, but a rough estimate is 8 grand or so. That includes having the engine rebuilt, paint job, donor blazer for the axles and misc. parts. A couple of orders to LMC, glow plug card, HMMWV rims re-centered and powder-coated. I'll probably end up with about 10 grand into it when its all said and done, but I think it will be worth it.

I still need to order all the door and top gaskets and weather stripping, and get the inside rhino-lined. Once she's a solid driver, I will start putting all the finishing touches in...center console, standard radio, Ham radio, CB, scanner, antennas, rear drawers, roof rack, custom bumpers, tire carrier, winch, on-board air, lights, LED turn signals and markers, and I will need custom driver shafts to do anything off-road.

She will be a project for the next few years definitely. Now I have to get my Harley rebuilt so I can put more money into the blazer.
Dyocis,

I got frustrated trying to win a CUCV at auction, so I bought a civvy Diesel Blazer. I was wondering what you were going to do with the old rims after you get the HMMWV rims installed?

dyocis

Dyocis,

I got frustrated trying to win a CUCV at auction, so I bought a civvy Diesel Blazer. I was wondering what you were going to do with the old rims after you get the HMMWV rims installed?
Mine didn't have the original rims when I got it, they are aftermarket wagon wheels. From what I understand, the CUCV rims are the stock steel rims that come on all blazers. You can probably pick some up at a junkyard and either paint them or have them powder-coated. I had my HMMWV rims and 2 jerry can holders powder-coated for 300$. If you are looking for extra parts and pieces, I still have the donor I got my suspension and axles from. Your welcome to come take a look and see if you can use anything from it next time I'm in town.

dyocis

Well, I got her home from the shop. my home in San Diego anyway. I am in the process of moving to Paso Robles, CA. Living in San Diego and working up here isn't working anymore, and it doesn't look like this contract is going to end anytime soon. I found a house with a 4000 square foot shop, so I will have a place to her and work on her finally! I didn't have a chance to take any pics, but I will get some uploaded soon. She's looking good, and is a driver now.

dyocis

Sorry it's been a while. I finally got moved, and my 09 is being transported to my new house in a few weeks. I've been collecting parts and pieces this whole time, so there will be a lot of updates coming in the next few months. I'll post pics as soon as she gets here!

dyocis

Well it's been longer that's I had hoped, but I've had some personal issues to deal with. I finally got a couple of hours this morning to work on the blazer. Swapped out the rollers with hummer wheels and tires. The runs are rubbing on the control arm, but I've got a set of back spaced wheels to go on.uploadfromtaptalk1404070204732.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404070214642.jpg

dyocis

I got a set of blackout lights from an SS member sometime last year and finally had some time to get them in. They are the updated version so a small modification had to be made. uploadfromtaptalk1404857878657.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1404857984159.jpg
No big deal though, it fits well now. Surprisingly all the original connections were there except one for the front right b/l light.

I also got the charging port put in and wired up. I'm going to be building a jumper cable for it. YES, it's wired to 12v but I will be labelling the cord and port very well for that. uploadfromtaptalk1404858098428.jpg

I also got the last two rims and tires on. I checked them out and the mounting ring has been welded all the way around, along with the rock rings, and the back spaced flange. I'm running them at 25 right now, just to be safe. Once I have a little more confidence in then, I will go to 30, which is the max recommended PSI for them. We'll see what happens.
uploadfromtaptalk1404858574116.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404858589596.jpg

I was also able to get my second battery wired up. It's sitting on the drive side in a civvy battery tray.
uploadfromtaptalk1404858782345.jpg
It's wired directly to my primary using the aux. side mounts.
uploadfromtaptalk1404858843374.jpg
The wiring definitely still needs to be cleaned up but everything is in and working properly.
uploadfromtaptalk1404858910194.jpg

Let me know what you think, or if I missed anything big.

Last edited: