• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1009 Build

What should I paint it?

• Flat black

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Rhino Line it black

Votes: 30 58.8%

• Total voters

forest522

Looks good! I too re-wired, cleaned and labeled every thing I could under the hood. It was tedious, but by labeling all the wires and writing a personal chart (yes there are pre-made ones out there that I used as a guide) I was able to better understand and remember/troubleshoot any electrical issues.

Also - the cleaning/tracing/labeling also helped locate all the ground wires and led to each of them and the contact being cleaned and greased.

Keep it up!

dyocis

Well, I took the front fender off this weekend in an effort to align my door. I think my driver door is twisted. I can't get the top edge to seal properly when the rest of the door is aligned. Can anyone give me any tips?uploadfromtaptalk1405361966267.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405361979439.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405362029917.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405362039991.jpg

Last edited:

dyocis

I got a little more done this weekend. The dash lights were very dim, so I took the dash apart and painted the inside of the cluster with chrome paint. I need to take it out again, my right blinker isn't lighting up. It's probably just a loose connection but I was tired when I got it in, and left it. I will get pics up in a little bit.

dyocis

I got a little more done this weekend. The dash lights were very dim, so I took the dash apart and painted the inside of the cluster with chrome paint. I need to take it out again, my right blinker isn't lighting up. It's probably just a loose connection but I was tired when I got it in, and left it.

I also soldered in a small piece of wire to fix a burn in one of the copper runs. It's not pretty but it works.
uploadfromtaptalk1405981091364.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405981131469.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405981175319.jpg

Attachments

dyocis

I got the vent window, window sweep and window channel weatherstripping on the driver side door this weekend. I was also able to get the weatherstripping and window sweeps on the rear window. I took pics, but don't have them with me right now. I got all my weatherstripping from 1AAuto.com and it all seems to fit pretty well, but the "complete" kit I got is missing the rubber that goes on the door top. I didn't realize it until I started going through the package looking for all the driver door stuff. Besides that, what I got in, seems to fit well and is made well.

Zenk

How does it ride with your 37" Goodyear MT OZ tires and re-centered rims? I have the same setup on my M1028 and am having a lot of issues getting the truck to run smooth over 45mph. I've tried balancing beads... no joy... I even bought the Centramatic wheel balancers and this helped but didn't solve the issue. Mine will run fine up to 45mph and then start bouncing up and down.

dyocis

How does it ride with your 37" Goodyear MT OZ tires and re-centered rims? I have the same setup on my M1028 and am having a lot of issues getting the truck to run smooth over 45mph. I've tried balancing beads... no joy... I even bought the Centramatic wheel balancers and this helped but didn't solve the issue. Mine will run fine up to 45mph and then start bouncing up and down.
I haven't put a lot of miles on them yet, but when I have taken it out, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I put dyna beads in as I bolted them together. I also have the PVC beadlocks installed and they are 8 bolt rims so they are pretty good at self centering.

dyocis

Got the new weatherstripping in the passenger door and dyed the door cards black to match. So the only weatherstripping I have left to install is the removable top pieces and the strips for the cab to door seal. Everything seems to fit pretty well, although I'm not completely happy with the way it looks. That is more of an inability to do it properly on my part, than the quality of the seals though. I'll get some pics up soon I keep forgetting to take them.

I also got my battery cut-out switch installed and it looks pretty good and functions properly. Its just a plastic one from the auto parts store. I will be upgrading it eventually to a cutout switch with a remote switch in the cab. I wanted to get this one wired first and make sure I was happy with the placement and the function before I spent the money on the one I really want.

llong66

Hi! GREAT job so far! Looking really good! In post #35 in the middle pic, you have some side steps on the truck, do you know what brand, a part number, anything like that for them? I am going to want something like that once I get my lift on until I can afford a set of rock sliders with removable steps.
Thanks much and best of luck!!

Greg

dyocis

Hi! GREAT job so far! Looking really good! In post #35 in the middle pic, you have some side steps on the truck, do you know what brand, a part number, anything like that for them? I am going to want something like that once I get my lift on until I can afford a set of rock sliders with removable steps.
Thanks much and best of luck!!

Greg
They were on the truck when I got it, so I don't know much about them. I haven't seen any part numbers or manufacturing info on them, but I'll look. I think they are just generic steps.

The PO booger welded them to the frame, honestly I am planning on cutting them off eventually.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks