• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1009 Project

tombguard500

Thanks. I will have a lot more progress here in the short future.

I bought 3 inch rear Tough Country springs. When those come in, I'm lifting the body off of the frame, grinding all rust spots then painting and plan on making great strides in progress by July.

I am also in the process of doing a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit and having custom drive shafts built.

My transmission and Transfer case will be back in about a week from today.

More to follow.

tombguard500

CUCVLOVER, not sure exactly. To be honest, I have never even driven an M1009. As soon as it arrived to my house, I just started tearing it down. If it's rubber, it's been replaced, if it's electrical, it's been cleaned and if it's rusty, it will be wire wheeled.

It is 150HP stock and 240ish TQ, with the Banks setup, it's "supposed" to add roughly 60hp and 115lb ft of TQ over stock. "Should" add some pretty solid power over stock.

More pictures to follow over the next few weeks. I HAVE TO FINISH THIS PROJECT SOON!

tombguard500

Rear Tuff Country 3 inch springs are in. They come with an overload spring attached, rough country didn't. I'm going 3 in the rear and 2 in the front. 20150609_194108.jpg

tombguard500

Just some updates. This weekend, we are lifting the body off of the chassis, grinding and painting all metal with POR15, installing my rebuilt TH400 and re sealed transfer case, de installing the Rough Country lift and installing the Tuff Country, installing the fuel tank-skid plate, receiver hitch and replacing the real outer axle shaft bearings along with draining and replacing the diff fluids. Also installing the Bilstein steering damper, windshield wiper motor and pump and as you can see, all fluids in the two boxes below.
Also installing a Borgeson steering shaft with a U Joint that replaces the rag joint. PSC steering box to arrive tomorrow.

BUSY WEEKEND!!

View attachment Fluids Box 1.pdfView attachment Fluids BX 2.pdfView attachment Pittman Arm.pdfView attachment Diff Cover.pdfView attachment POR15.pdfView attachment Bilstein Steering Damper.pdfView attachment Tranny Filter.pdfView attachment Washer Wiper Motor.pdf20150625_083839.jpg

Last edited:

tombguard500

20150625_185345.jpg20150625_175333.jpg20150625_175324.jpg
20150625_175313.jpg

Cracked the rear diff today, removed the rear axle shafts and replaced the 2 piece bearings and seals with upgraded Timken 1 piece seals and bearings. Also removed the drum setups in preparation for installing the rear disc brake conversion kit.

fitz

How does your truck sit with the 2"/3" spring combo? I was thinking of going that route with mine. That extra 1" in the rear should make it appear to be level.
Thanks.

tombguard500

Fitz, I will let you know after this weekend. A lot more to follow.20150628_153143.jpg20150628_153149.jpg

Progress from this weekend. Did some grinding, ground and painted the rear axle, did some more painting, installed new rear yoke and seal, outer rear axle bearings, lifted the cab off, installed the engine, tranny and new torque converter. Still ran out of time. More to follow next Wednesday. This has me growing weary but it's kind of fun.

Last edited:

kimco

Would also love to see any updates you have. I just won my first auction for a 86 M1009 today. I'm not too far from you, might have to check yours out once I get mine delivered, for reference.