• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1009 questions

brokedown

When it comes down to it, a 12v system with 2 batteries is going to push the same number of watts (unit of work) as a 24v system with the same two batteries. watts=volts*amps, if you're using the same size batteries you can either double the amps (batteries in parallel) or double the volts (batteries in series). Wattage (work) won't change. What will change is the ease of getting replacement parts.

Well im gonna say i had a rough time at first,But i personally like the 24 volt system,with a gear reduction starter you cant go wrong but thats me.But i can say if he keeps the 24 volt he better do the Doghead relay conversion.If he goes 12v then not needed :]

dyocis

UPDATE: Well the wiring turned out to not be that bad. There was already a 12V starter installed in the truck. The only thing I had to do to complete the conversion was remove the glow plug resister bank. HOWEVER, the engine has some kind of internal damage. It will only turn over and 3/4 of a rotation and then it wont go any further...aua My mechanic buddy is tearing it down this week to see what the problem is, and what it will take to fix it. Worst case scenario, I will have to replace the engine. I've done a little calling around, and looking on line, but can't seem to find any decent prices for long block military 6.2s (the cheapest I've found is $1500). My mechanic is telling me that he can find a Cummings, or Caterpillar engine that will fit, and give me a much better engine overall, but I'm not sure I want to get rid of the 6.2L.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I was thinking maybe finding a 6.5L turbo, and putting it in there.

ALSO, I found a donor 82 blazer with 1 ton axles and a 4 in lift already installed. I'm getting the whole thing minus the engine and tranny for 700 bucks. I figure I can sell the transfer case and my stock axles and scrap the rest, and get more than that for it.

Last edited:

wayne pick

The 5.9 Cummins swap although involved, would be far simpler than swapping in a 4 cyl Cat industrial engine. the Cummins uses automotive type motor mounts. Major fabrication and frame modifacations would be required with the Cat to mount it to the trucks frame. The Cat uses an SAE#3 bellhousing and requires expensive adapters to mount it to an automotive transmission. The Cat's RPM range may also pose a problem. You may have to change gear ratios to make it work right. A spicer 5sp truck trans will bolt up to the Cat SAE#3 housing, An nv4500 to the cummins. Unless you have a fat wallet and alot of time the 6.2 or 6.5 replacement is by far the fastest and cheapest way to go.