• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1009 Water Pump

Keith_J

If you have the timing chain cover off, check the chain slack. All diesels are interference engines which could be damaging to at least the push rods. Not that timing chains fail, wear in the set will let you know when to change.

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen and replaced failed dampers. The level to which you're going to tear it down, you'd be better off replacing it if there's any doubt. Also replace the front main seal if you replace the damper. Check timing chain for stretch while it's apart as well. (Doubt it's a issue, but you're there, only take another minute to check) And I'd advise new belts and hoses while you're in there. Again, to the level you're going to tear it down, it only make sense.
Definitely will do all of those things. I would much rather replace items while the engine is tore down. Thanks

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a few dollars more, you could easily upgrade to a higher flow Flowkooler water pump. Just give them a call and tell them what you need.

Here’s a good write up on replacing the timing cover, water pump etc I did not long ago. Starts on page 5 close to the bottom. Might help you out with getting a super clean install. It it crucial to have the threads super clean and to apply a generous amount of RTV on the bolt ends. Especially on the 2 water jacket holes on driver side of the timing cover and 2 smaller holes below the harmonic balancer.

Ill be calling thm for sure. Ill update y'all on what I find out.

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an update.....Ordered a water pump from Flowkooler on 12/07/21 and have yet to receive it. Customer service is blaming the supply chain issues. I believe them but decided to go a different route and ordered an ACdelco pump off Rockauto.com. I also ordered many of the other parts recommended in the thread including a harmonic balancer, hoses, belts etc.. All the parts, including 2 years worth PM materials for all my vehicles arrived in a few days. I am beginning the tear down tomorrow.

2INSANE

Just an update.....Ordered a water pump from Flowkooler on 12/07/21 and have yet to receive it. Customer service is blaming the supply chain issues. I believe them but decided to go a different route and ordered an ACdelco pump off Rockauto.com. I also ordered many of the other parts recommended in the thread including a harmonic balancer, hoses, belts etc.. All the parts, including 2 years worth PM materials for all my vehicles arrived in a few days. I am beginning the tear down tomorrow.
That sucks you could not get a flowkooler water pump. I remember last winter when I was building 6 motors, flowkooler said they only had 2 left in stock. With this crappy economy from COVID, it does not surprise me that they are short handed with the manufacturing.

The other alternative could be a 6.5 serpentine belt set up with a high flow 130gpm counter clockwise rotation water pump with a dual thermostat coolant cross over. Cheap upgrade if you can find a junk yard donor.

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Rockauto pump and a Rockauto aluminum radiator in my M1009. It provides plenty of cooling.

I have installed 3.73 axle gears and a manual trans, but hauling a 6000 lb trailer up into the mountains the coolant never got over 190F. Oil temp never got above 210. Foot on the floor in second gear for 10 min climbing the pass, AC blasting on full, and it didn't seem to care a bit.

MarcusOReallyus

High flow water pumps often do not cool as well. More is not always better.

A balanced design is what cools well, not just "whatever''s the biggest!!!".

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey fellas, I am replacing a leaking water pump on an M1009 and was wondering what additional parts I should consider replacing while doing so? She runs fine but If I can stay ahead of common failures (engine wise) I would like to. Thanks.
Hey guys, took over a year but I finally got around to everything we talked about. Ended up with a stock water pump and harmonic balancer from O'Reilly. Both went one without much hassle. I did get a cheap puller off Amazon.com for the balancer. I went ahead and changed the hoses on radiator, easy to source for the most part. I wanted to install an actual temp guage instead of just using the dummy light but couldn't find a simple solution to swap out the temp probe located on the front of the block on the driver's side, so I just pulled the plug on the water pump and used a cheap temp guage from Amazon, that installed easily. Also new thermostat was installed. I had a heck of a time keeping my nuts and bolts organized, next time I definitely using a cardboard cut out keeping them organized. I over torqued and broke a pulley bolt on balancer but managed to extract it with little fuss. I appreciate all the feed back. Changing my leaky valve cover gaskets next and also suspension, wheels, and tires. Going with 2.5 to 3 inch suspension lift and probably stick with the 31x10.5x15 ATs. Having a hard time sourcing a stock 15x8 6/5.5 wheel. I only have . It's cheaper to get all new wheels than buying a used one so far. Just concerned about the hub centric vs lug centric situation. I'll probably add a post to the appropriate section when the time comes. Anyway, thanks again for all the awesome info!

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Rockauto pump and a Rockauto aluminum radiator in my M1009. It provides plenty of cooling.

I have installed 3.73 axle gears and a manual trans, but hauling a 6000 lb trailer up into the mountains the coolant never got over 190F. Oil temp never got above 210. Foot on the floor in second gear for 10 min climbing the pass, AC blasting on full, and it didn't seem to care a bit.
Which transmission did you go with? Very interested in a manual shift. Thanks.

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which transmission did you go with? Very interested in a manual shift. Thanks.
I have a Ranger 2 speed splitter, SM465 4 speed, and an NP205 transfer case. I twin sticked the transfer case while I had everything apart so the front and rear axles can be shifted independently, which can be handy when you're off roading and need front wheel drive to get around a narrow corner

The splitter is a 2 speed synchronized manual transmission with a 0.73:1 and 1:1 ratio, so it "splits" each gear in the SM465. This unit was originally designed sometime in the 70s, and the design was purchased by Advanced Adapters and updated with an aluminum case and maybe some other minor things sometime around the early 2000s. I bought mine new in 2017 and have had it installed for ~5 years now.

It is a huge drivability improvement to have overdrive on the highway and to be able to avoid the huge RPM drops in the sm465 when off road or climbing steep grades at highway speed.

I'm currently running nominal 33" tires (measure 32.5" new and fully inflated) and 3.73 gears. This combo with the .73 final drive in the top overdrive gear gives 1975 RPM at 70MPH, which is right in the middle of the torque band and I think is a pretty perfect cruise RPM for a N/A 6.2.

Someday I'll install an ORD Magnum doubler in front of the transfer case, 1 ton axles and probably 37" tires, but I've got years of other projects I need to wrap up first.

I don't have many photos of the drivetrain, just one of the shifter setup and one from when I was replacing the cab floors. But if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Ranger 2 speed splitter, SM465 4 speed, and an NP205 transfer case. I twin sticked the transfer case while I had everything apart so the front and rear axles can be shifted independently, which can be handy when you're off roading and need front wheel drive to get around a narrow corner

The splitter is a 2 speed synchronized manual transmission with a 0.73:1 and 1:1 ratio, so it "splits" each gear in the SM465. This unit was originally designed sometime in the 70s, and the design was purchased by Advanced Adapters and updated with an aluminum case and maybe some other minor things sometime around the early 2000s. I bought mine new in 2017 and have had it installed for ~5 years now.

It is a huge drivability improvement to have overdrive on the highway and to be able to avoid the huge RPM drops in the sm465 when off road or climbing steep grades at highway speed.

I'm currently running nominal 33" tires (measure 32.5" new and fully inflated) and 3.73 gears. This combo with the .73 final drive in the top overdrive gear gives 1975 RPM at 70MPH, which is right in the middle of the torque band and I think is a pretty perfect cruise RPM for a N/A 6.2.

Someday I'll install an ORD Magnum doubler in front of the transfer case, 1 ton axles and probably 37" tires, but I've got years of other projects I need to wrap up first.

I don't have many photos of the drivetrain, just one of the shifter setup and one from when I was replacing the cab floors. But if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them!
That's an incredible set up. You basically every question that I have searched for on the issue for months! Thank you. Although I'm not sure I would do a splitter or doubler the transmission info is great! Next for me is new suspension. I'm probably not going to fix/upgrade axles or transmission until they break. If it ain't broke dont fix it one of my motos! I appreciate you take time to share the details and pics. Love how it turned out for you.

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an incredible set up. You basically every question that I have searched for on the issue for months! Thank you. Although I'm not sure I would do a splitter or doubler the transmission info is great! Next for me is new suspension. I'm probably not going to fix/upgrade axles or transmission until they break. If it ain't broke dont fix it one of my motos! I appreciate you take time to share the details and pics. Love how it turned out for you.
Just to clarify, I would not suggest using an SM465 without an overdrive/splitter and with 3.73 gears. Like the original TH400, the 1:1 4th gear is not enough for highway driving with the current speed limits and engine RPMs will be too high. If you do install an SM465, I would suggest keeping the stock 3.08 gears and upgrading to a 33" tire.

Ideally you could run an overdrive transmission (ie an NV4500), you could then run 3.73 gears and 33" tires or 3.42 gears and the stock 31" tires.

This calculator is handy for determining what speed can be obtained for a given engine RPM, tire size and transmission ratio:

If you do decide to do an auto to manual swap and have questions, feel free to ask. I'm definitely not a professional, but I've manual swapped my M1009, 1979 Corvette, and a lady friend's NB Miata. I'm happy to help if I can. Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to clarify, I would not suggest using an SM465 without an overdrive/splitter and 3.73 gears. Like the original TH400, the 1:1 4th gear is not enough for highway driving with the current speed limits and engine RPMs will be too high. If you do install an SM465, I would suggest keeping the stock 3.08 gears and upgrading to a 33" tire.

Ideally you could run an overdrive transmission (ie an NV4500), you could then run 3.73 gears and 33" tires or 3.42 gears and the stock 31" tires.

This calculator is handy for determining what speed can be obtained for a given engine RPM, tire size and transmission ratio:

If you do decide to do an auto to manual swap and have questions, feel free to ask. I'm definitely not a professional, but I've manual swapped my M1009, 1979 Corvette, and a lady friend's NB Miata. I'm happy to help if I can. Good luck with your project!
Great. Thanks for clarification 👍. I'll reach out to you when the time comes for sure. The Spicer calculator is very cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks