• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

87 hemtt M977 New Owner

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey folks to start out please dont ask for pics YET they will be coming as soon as I pick up the truck! As the title implies I will very shortly be the new owner of an 1987 977 HEMTT. The truck appears to be in very good condition through out and my plan is to go pick up the tuck and drive it home since its only about 225 miles. One thing I would like to do is to change the oil before I drive it home, I have not got the TMs for this truck yet so I have a question, this truck has the DD 8V92 in it, what is the oil capacity for this engine? Everybody is telling me that the original canister/element type filter assembly leak a lot ans suggest that I convert them to the screw on regular type filter, I have looked and found a lot of these conversions, does anybody have a MFG and Part # of one of these conversions that WILL WORK ON THIS TRUCK??

Thanks much for any info you can share on this one folks, and pics will be here as soon as I have the truck home!

Thanks much
Karl

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunzy

TM says 30 quarts with filter change, but my M985 took a few more than that. So start with 30 and check the level after a brief run and top as needed. You will enjoy the beast, I know I do mine. The only difference between your M977 and my M985 is the crane capacity. M977 is 2500 lbs and the M985 is 5400 lbs. Take pictures and video of your recovery and road trip and post here for us all to enjoy.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks much for the info guys, anybody got anything on the spin on conversion for this engine???
Karl

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey folks to start out please dont ask for pics YET they will be coming as soon as I pick up the truck! As the title implies I will very shortly be the new owner of an 1987 977 HEMTT. The truck appears to be in very good condition through out and my plan is to go pick up the tuck and drive it home since its only about 225 miles. One thing I would like to do is to change the oil before I drive it home, I have not got the TMs for this truck yet so I have a question, this truck has the DD 8V92 in it, what is the oil capacity for this engine? Everybody is telling me that the original canister/element type filter assembly leak a lot ans suggest that I convert them to the screw on regular type filter, I have looked and found a lot of these conversions, does anybody have a MFG and Part # of one of these conversions that WILL WORK ON THIS TRUCK??

Thanks much for any info you can share on this one folks, and pics will be here as soon as I have the truck home!

Thanks much
Karl
Looks like 7 1/2 gallons with the filter.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/hmett.htm

[SIZE=-1]Engine: Manufacturer:Detroit Diesel Allison[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Model: 8V92TA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Type: 8 cylinder, 2-stroke, V-type Diesel[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rating: 450 hp, @ 2100 rpm[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Fuel: Diesel, DF-2, JP-4, JP-8, VV-F-800[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Oil: 30 qt. With Filter (MIL-L-2104D, MIL-L-46167)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cooling System: 80 qt., Water, Radiator[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Fan: Engine-driven, Clutch Type[/SIZE]

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks much for the info guys, anybody got anything on the spin on conversion for this engine???
Karl

dk8019

Very nice, I do love my M977, I'm sure you will yours as well. As mentioned before change it to Delo 100 in the engine only, and get the 15-40 oil out of the transmission as replace it with some proper TES-295 or better rated ATF.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been very well briefed on the Delo 100 40 wt engine oil and am really hoping the fellow I bought the truck from already did the transmission fluid conversion to DexIII, we shall soon see!!! Thanks much for the info guys now I need to secure all the applicable TMs!

Karl

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did an oil change on my m985 today took 31 qts of sae40 with filter. what are you guys getting for engine and tranny temps? my engine runs about 200 degrees hwy and local roads. tranny with 15/40 runs 150 degrees hwy and between 170-200 degrees local roads.
dont mean to hijack the thread just curious thanks.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bigred350 give me a few more weeks and I will be able to answer that but I am sure some of these other very knowledgeable folks will be able to assist you!!!
Karl

dk8019

My engine never gets that warm, hovers around 180F it appears all the time from what I can tell. That temp gauge isn't all that useful though in the range it runs. Transmission is about where it was mentioned above. Is this Hassan's truck?

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I still have to do a radiator flush, hopefully that will bring the temp down a little. Picked up my truck from northern Michigan.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey guys probably a stupid question BUT I am trying to buy the oil for my HEMTT and looking under DELO I find a Chevron DELO 400 SAE 40 wt oil. Everybody is telling me its DELO 100? Is there a difference?
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks