• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

89 deuce front end probs

89deuce

i have just bought a 89 deuce but it does not have the front wheel drive switch on the dash, my drive shaft spins but tires dont pull, i lifted one tire at a time and turned it and it turned the driveshaft so that telling me i dont have a broken axle is their something im missing if so please let me know

Chevytruck

are you sure this is a Air shift truck or a SPRAG truck?

if its a sprag, it might be worn out, an air shift you need the switch to activate the front.

:-D

JDToumanian

Look at the lower front of the transfer case, a few inches below and toward the passenger's side from the speedometer drive adapter...... If there's a little cylinder there with an air line coming off it, you've got an air shift but are missing the switch. If there's a lever there with a linkage going to the transmission, you've got a sprag. If it's a sprag, I don't see how your truck could be an '89. More like a '69!!!

Jon

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Your title is wrong. . . :cry:

Please post the VIN, it should be on the dash on the passenger side, or on the frame inside the drivers side front fender well. . .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your title is wrong. . . :cry:

Please post the VIN, it should be on the dash on the passenger side, or on the frame inside the drivers side front fender well. . .
:ditto:

If the truck dosen't have a air shift I doubt it's a '89. Post either the VIN number or the registration number and I can tell you if it's really a '89. If your front end isn't pulling it sounds like you have a problem with your sprag.

jimm1009

your truck ??

It looks like a '68 Kaiser-Jeep but double check the frame too.

There are two possible areas for the VIN on the left front frame area.

Just behind the steering gearbox and near the upper shock mount.
and the stamping should be about the center of the frame.

I highly recommend using paint stripper to gain access to the numbers.

I started to use a wire brush and damage the numbers ever so slightly.
There may be several layers of paint so it may take a while but keep going.
A wire tooth brush will help with the paint stripper.

You may also find a "Frame Heat Treat Date" near the VIN. That is when the frame was completed and since they did not sit long, would be really close the truck build date by a week or two.
I cleaned the stripped paint up reapplied everywhere except right over the numbers, and then shot 3 coats of clear enamel over the actual numbers in case I need to refer to it again or prove the VIN during the initial police check.
Jim :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks