• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

89 m998 half shaft removal

beehumvee

Hi friends,

The boot of my half shaft is broken. I do not know how to remove the half shaft. Could you help me please? First of all i need to identify the shaft I have. Is it a 7k one? Is this the boot of the pic the one i need? Many thanks

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi friends,

The boot of my half shaft is broken. I do not know how to remove the half shaft. Could you help me please? First of all i need to identify the shaft I have. Is it a 7k one? Is this the boot of the pic the one i need? Many thanks
Hi and welcome to the Outfit! Looks like you have been here a while. Several posts, so maybe this is a belated welcome.

ANYHOW, the how to for half-shafts is in the "Dash 20" Technical Manual

TM 9-2320-280-20-2
Page 6-17
PDF Page #647

Step by Step removal instructions.
Give that a peek and see if it looks like what you have.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, you can look at thread "CV boot on HMMWV" for discussion about replacement boots. Include the quotes when you do a search.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What model is your truck? if it is an A0 or an A1 you can get them so cheap at Autozone that rebuilding them is far less economical than if your truck is an A2.
And they have a lifetime warrantee.
Good advice on the TM, it will give you the information you need.
With some possible exceptions if your truck has a 3 speed it is an A0 or an A1, 4 speed is an A2

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried rebuilding mine.. 7K axles....No Bueno.. Better off buying half shaft if you have ability to.. Otherwise I would consider using a boot stretcher to slide boot over the end.. I couldn't disassemble my half shaft without distorting the CV cup.. I honestly don't think they were made to be rebuilt, looks like there is some welded parts that were done during assembly and thus make them unserviceable,,,, Unless you have a boot stretcher, not sure its possible to rebuild.. Just my experience.. Someone else may chime in here..

PS: will need Oetiker clamps and tightener to fasten boot

PPS: Amazon I believe has services in Spain now.. Might be able to source half shaft that way.. And a lot of other HMMWV parts..

PPPS: On Amazon I found :
GSP NCV82075 CV Axle Shaft Assembly - Right Front (Passenger Side)

About $150 shipped to Spain via Amazon.. You'll need to do a little research to make sure you're getting the correct Half shafts but I believe you'll be able to find what you need at a reasonable price.. And All the HMMWVs were upgraded to 10K shafts when the were serviced/replaced.. I replace mine as they fail.. I have (2) 10K and (2) original 7k on my 89' 998 currently.. Not an issue..

Ocho Out !!

Last edited:

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good point about the 7K axles having the pressed-on retainers (maybe even welded on?) I haven't seen too many 7K axles, but I did replace at least one boot on one. In thread "CV BOOT INSTALLATION" I posted a picture of the NAPA 6862110 silicone boot on an outer 7K joint. This boot was a nice piece but gray in color. I definitely did not stretch this boot over the joint. (I share the same skepticism about this procedure as RWH expressed in post #19 of that thread.) It has been a few years and I don't seem to have taken pictures of the process. Best I recall is that I left the outer joint together and slid the boot on from the other end. I forget whether the inner joint had the pressed-on retainer or conventional internal snap ring. Maybe the inner joint comes apart by knocking the spider off the shaft, over the small retaining clip on the end of the shaft? In any event, for these joints with the pressed-on retainers, you definitely don't want to impact the balls on the retainers in trying to get it apart. Just for reference, here are the three boots from the EMPI catalog that look like a good match to the 7K axles. These numbers convert to NAPA 6862107, 6862108 and 6862110 (in picture).

EMPI Boots 86-2107 86-2108 86-2110.JPG

NAPA 6862110 boot on 7K axle.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks