• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8V92 Coughs but Won't Start (SOLVED!)

matt2491

(See post #73 for solution)

All of a sudden my M978 HEMTT w/ 8V92 diesel won't start. It cranks over fine and on the first turn it will sort of cough or sputter a little like it wants to go, but then it just goes cold. If I wait a minute and try again, I get the same result - a tiny sign of life but then nothing.

Tank is 1/3rd full, and temps have been in the 30s on average. Not cold enough to gel the fuel I wouldn't think. It's in the low 40s today and still doing the same thing. Tried a little starter fluid, didn't really help.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has it set for a while since starting last time? if you are not getting any smoke. First thing If no smoke I would check to make sure you kill is in the run position. If you get little or no smoke I would make sure you are your fuel is primed and make sure you get fuel PSI

matt2491

It has not been sitting. I drove it 3 days prior. Ran fine then.

It does smoke quite a bit while cranking. Didn't really pay attention to the color. Sort of grey, maybe a little blue? I'll check again tomorrow; I'll take a video.

Matt

87cr250r

I ask about the smoke because that means it's getting fuel. Without smoke I would be looking at the shutdown solenoid.

Anyways, a Detroit that won't run on starting fluid? Maybe NDT is on to something with the blower drive shaft. NDT, have you heard of this happening? I used to run a lot of 71 series engines and can tell you that nobody knows how to assemble blowers correctly. All of the ones I have opened have the rotor clearances set incorrectly, they all touch when spun backwards. This could break the quill shaft.

Do these engines have the shutdown air damper? That always got our tugboat crews.

87cr250r

I always built my 71 series engines with spring return racks which let me eliminate the shutdown air damper. Saved me many midnight phone calls.

matt2491

View of the exhaust on today's attempt. 43°F today. Once again, you can hear it want to catch, but then doesn't. I guess it's getting fuel since we see smoke.

Those talking about the shutdown air damper - what & where is that?

Thanks everyone.

87cr250r

White smoke like that means the engine is fueling.

IF you have a shutdown damper it's in the blower inlet duct. You can see the shaft in this picture from eBay

Screenshot_20221216-103823.png

This link has the rest of the pictures that show the shaft, damper flap, and catch mechanism.

Also, 43F is right at the minimum starting temp so don't be afraid to feed it some ether.

matt2491

The factory ether shot device doesn't work but I will try spraying some regular starter fluid into the intake.

I'll check for the shutdown damper too. Is that what is being activated when I press the 'engine off' toggle switch? It just blocks air flow to the engine?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its been so long ago but there was something up around the blower that if it tripped you had to manually recock this little arm and you were back in business on 6v and 8v if my memory serves me !

87cr250r

Overspeed trip. They had a nasty habit of eating their own sump, running away, going KABLOOEY. It's a Detroit thing....
The engines had a fixed fuel rack so if you got a stuck injector because of water in the fuel the governor couldn't bring the injectors back to the shutdown position. The remaining injectors would be stuck at that power setting. If you removed the load or declutched the engine would overspeed and the shutdown damper would bring everything to a halt. The spring return fuel racks eliminate the stuck rack if a single injector seized. I have never had a Detroit pull oil from it's pan. I did build my own blowers.

davidb56

The factory ether shot device doesn't work but I will try spraying some regular starter fluid into the intake.

I'll check for the shutdown damper too. Is that what is being activated when I press the 'engine off' toggle switch? It just blocks air flow to the engine?
ether won't do squat if the damper is closed. it cant get into the intake. check it first like many have stated.

KN6KXR

The engines had a fixed fuel rack so if you got a stuck injector because of water in the fuel the governor couldn't bring the injectors back to the shutdown position. The remaining injectors would be stuck at that power setting. If you removed the load or declutched the engine would overspeed and the shutdown damper would bring everything to a halt. The spring return fuel racks eliminate the stuck rack if a single injector seized. I have never had a Detroit pull oil from it's pan. I did build my own blowers.
I believe you. I was told this in regard to the many 4, 6, 8 and 12-71 series we ran. The explanation was the blowers lost the seals. But we didn't build our own blowers we swapped them. I never saw it happen. Cracked liners IIRC the most common problem. Probably got told some marine folklore there was a lot of that....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks