• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8V92 Dip Stick Comes Out

Need help with the 8V92 in the HET. Had the first convoy to raise money for the veterans parade today. Since the truck is new to me there are still some issues. I noticed on the way home the dip stick came open and splattered some oil on the side of the truck. I wrote it off as I must not have tightened it well enough from checking. So changed oil and filter and put the dipstick tight. Get to the first stop of the day and the dipstick is not in the tube! The rubber plug was still crunched up. A little oil was around the tank and side but not too much. I cannot fill pressure coming out or see blow by under the truck. I put the stick back in and used zip ties to hold it. It now comes out just a touch but not enough to leak oil. So do I have a bad vent somewhere, a serious issue, or just a worn out dipstick seal?

snowtrac nome

detroits are like Harleys they mark their territory when parked, if it isn't look at your air box drains little ports at the back of the block people some times plug them off to stop the leaking. The problem is detrioit put them there for a reason and that's to drain any liquid accumulation out of the air boxes. I have seen many draft tubes plugged for the same reason to keep the engines from marking their territory.

Where is the draft tube?

The company that had it before me literally only drive it to there garage and stored it for three years. When I got it the thing had 600 hrs and 3000 or so miles was overhauld in 2005 by Oshkosh. They had it in their main shop for the weekend before I got it. I dont recall much if anything under it when I bought it.

Now it is garaged but with a rock floor. I dont noticed anything under it. Being new to the engine and truck I am open to all suggestions. Day 2 of the convoy is at 7AM tomorrow but if something simple I can check before then.

Before I drove home, I did check under it and greased everything. The two or more tubes under it are very clean and barely had any residue or crud on/in them from what I could see on the floor with a flashlight.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen that alot on the earlier engines with the bottle stopper type of dipstick even w/o high cc pressure. What I have found to fix it is to buy 2 of the barrel grommets for the dipstick. Install 1 whole one and use a razor blade to half the other grommet, put that on the lower half of the T-bolt then thread the stick back on the bolt. The biggest reason the grommets fail, besides age, is from over tightening them. When you put the stick back in, only tighten it until you feel tension, not 'till it gets hard to turn.

Kinda confusing, maybe....if you would like, I can drew a pic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks