• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8x8 Deuce

AGE|kshaufl

With that much torque I would suggest an electrohydraulic steering system. It would remove the need for both boxes and the need for the full steering shaft. I think that there are systems like this on some of the very large off road lumber vehicles. It utilizes an electric hydraulic pump and two hydraulic rams that push and pull on each side. Its a pretty simple set up but could cost a little bit.

Another suggestion would be to use the steering system off of a Stryker or LAV. They too would work very well.

One really good question though, is this just a huge pipe dream? I remember someone else posting something like this last year. User was banned for some reason. Just wondering. aua

offroadexpeditions

With that much torque I would suggest an electrohydraulic steering system. It would remove the need for both boxes and the need for the full steering shaft. I think that there are systems like this on some of the very large off road lumber vehicles. It utilizes an electric hydraulic pump and two hydraulic rams that push and pull on each side. Its a pretty simple set up but could cost a little bit.

Another suggestion would be to use the steering system off of a Stryker or LAV. They too would work very well.

One really good question though, is this just a huge pipe dream? I remember someone else posting something like this last year. User was banned for some reason. Just wondering. aua
Thanks for suggestions. Forgot to mention I will have two M35A3 steering axles with steering assists available. Would that change your opinion? A huge pipe dream? :smile: Go to post #1 in this thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/83026-8x8-deuce-off-road-tours-8.htmlThat was a huge pipe dream for almost eveybody around me years ago.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Just a thought

You "chinese 8" , then it would be an 8x6. and the steering setup would be like the "brewery"trucks that are converted to unload from the rear over here.

That dead axle (not driven) is easier (relativley) to convert and still attains the look.

Has It been done before?.., See my old truck that used to carry my halftrack.
(seems like a 1000 years ago!) in the 70s.

Attachments

offroadexpeditions

You "chinese 8" , then it would be an 8x6. and the steering setup would be like the "brewery"trucks that are converted to unload from the rear over here.

That dead axle (not driven) is easier (relativley) to convert and still attains the look.

Has It been done before?.., See my old truck that used to carry my halftrack.
(seems like a 1000 years ago!) in the 70s.
Thanks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks