• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9.00x20 Tire Question

401-J10

I've got some 9.00x20 tires on some of the split rims and I'm currently trying to get the tires off of the rims. I'm assuming the bead has to be broken before the lock ring can be taken off. What's the best way to break the bead on one of these tires? I've not had to much luck so far and I didn't know if any of the regular tire shops would be able to do it.

I'd sure appreciate any advise.

Big CASE

First you need to put a chain threw the rim 2x so the lock ring cant pop off . then let the air out ,by pulling the valve stem out .
after you done that get some sopy water and put it on the bead both sides ,then take a BIG 5*10* hammer and hit the bead till it POP Downs Both sides . them you can start to pull the lock ring up After you brake it loose you can take off the chain and pull the tire up ,an then you pull the tub out . Be safe when you are messing with the lock ring if you do not chain it or put it in a TIRE cage it can POP OFF AND HIT YOU !!! just be safe ..
you will need tools like a tireiron to do it right ..

dabtl

I always take the tires to a pro. And, I make sure the pro has a cage. Two years ago we had a young man killed by a split rim coming apart. I do not want a deuce so badly as to endanger myself or another.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once the air is out the lock ring can't fly off anymore. Get a duckbill tire hammer and swing it as hard as you can between the ring and the tire. Then get a sledge hammer and beat on the tire hammer until the duck bill hits the rim. Then remove the duck bill hammer and move it a few inches over and repeat the process all the way around the lock ring. If the tires have been rusted on the rims for 40 years, this can take hours. Finally the bead will drop down somwhat and you can pry off the lock ring. Then you can repeat the process on the other side. Don't plan on doing more than one tire a day. Ask me how I know.

emr

AFTER U take the air OUT, there is absolutly NO danger at all. , like said above the correct hammer is the key to break the bead ...Then u pull the ring...THEN U pull off the tire, older tires are usually stuck and hard to get off, alomost all truck tire shops I have found stil do these split rims, they are not the most dangerous split rim out there, they are dangerous when FILLING them, like if U did not set the ring correctly and it could pop off and kill or seriously hurt U are someone, there are a hundred threads on this I suggest looking them up and get reading, but a real truck tire shop by me charges 25 dollors off and one on and 20 for a new tube if i want, seems to be the going rate from other guys i talked too, all guys who do tires for a living are not created equal, one guy i called to come to my place was , everthing was a problem , another guy i called who i use now, was sure they are easy....U do NOT need to do anything but pull the valve stem, all air our then, and there are indentations in the ring, U start at one end and work it off, I have seen guys do off on and new tube i under 15 minutes here......If the shop u go to makes it a big deal grab the yelow pages , these are not a big deal,

Last edited:

ODdave

never seen a ring "POP" off if tire was deflated...............has n e one ever seen this? i have dissmounted over 50 of these in the last year, inflating is where you need to be carefull.

trog

Some "professionals" just hit the ring with a sledge to loosen the bead, and that, of course, is how rings get damaged and dangerous. If you drive a duckbill between the ring and tire with soapy water, or use a hydraulic bead breaker, then the ring is not damaged.

A tire cage will only save you while inflating! Always be sure the ring is not warped, or mismatched with the rim, and look carefully to be sure the ring is seated correctly after inflation. If it is not seated correctly, it could fly off at any time.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You will needs tire irons to correctly remove the split ring...you can get it done with prybars or BIG screwdrivers but you will prob lose some skin and exhaust your entire stock of profane language...ask me how I know.
If you are going to break down tires on a reg basis they are the best investment you can make.
You really need to do this on a concrete or asphalt surface...it keeps dirt and crud out of the process.
Since I now have more time than money I break them down myself.....my local shop charges $25.00 a throw to do them. But they have the technology (automated bead breaker and tire cage).
I have found the best homeade lube to be a 50/50 mix of Dawn dishwashing liquid and water....slicker than snot on a doorknob.
Lay the tire flat on a hard surface ring side up (with air out), squirt the lube all the way around the rim and go have a coke or coffee, let it soak in........take a mattock or duckbill hammer and go around the tire a few times....you will see the bead start to push down.....give it another shot of lube when the bead gets about an inch down.....keep working it around until you see the bottom of the ring.....then using your TIRE IRONS......start prying the ring from one end until it pops off. There is a notch that you put the end of the tire iron into to help take it off the rim. You can spring the ring if you distort it too much when prying it off. This can also cause the ring to fly off when inflating.
If you have a spare rim flip the tire over on it and lube the back side....the bead will usually break easier on the back side and the weight will help it fall off.
I have done this more times than I care to remember (34 years military duty) and it is still a PITA with all the tricks I know.
The longer a tire has been mounted the harder it is to get off.......in some cases I have resorted to a SAWZALL and air powered cutting wheel.
Also...while you have it apart take a wire brush and give the whole rim and ring a good brushing, if you have the time and money giving it a shot of primer or paint is not a bad idea. If you leave it bare it will rust fast.
If you do not have a tire cage the only way I would inflate it is to set the bucket of a front end loader over it. That will keep the ring from going anywhere if it pops off. I do not use chains, put the tire between the duals or any other "redneck ingenuity" method. I also use a lock on type air chuck so I can put the air to it and step away while the ring seats.
Just my input...you milage may vary and you might kill youself if you do something wrong.

Last edited:

401-J10

Wow i really appreciate all the replies. I'll definitely get a duckbill hammer and give it a shot. I kinda wondered about driving a vehicle up on the tire to try to get it to break. Is this just a bad idea? Would it harm the tire?

davemccoull

I,ve just changed eight tyres on my truck, the only thing i can add to wreckermans description is to give tyre beads a coating of tyre soap, lets tyre slip up onto ring easier. if it hasn,t "popped" up at twenty psi somethings not right, and needs investigation!
DAVE.

RANDYDIRT

Do not get discouraged using the duckbill (tire maul) for the first few hundred swings. You will miss your spot a lot, but you will get better with practice. I worked at a truck garage when I was a teen, and got to where I could change out a tire in about 10 minutes...... It would take me 2 hours now! LOL

greenjeepster

i used to do tires for a living and had one blow in the cage .hurt like **** take it to a shop and let them deal with it. your head is worth more tha money
You may take it to the bank. That is as good advice as a lawyer could give. I know. :D
You guys are no fun... Everybody should at least try removing a tire from a multi-piece rim once in their lives.

dabtl

You guys are no fun... Everybody should at least try removing a tire from a multi-piece rim once in their lives.
That is the problem. It might be the once and final act of their lives. Go to the pro with a cage. You live, they live and we all get to grow older, at least for a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks