• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9-11-46 Jacksonville Fla WAA Vehicle Sales Catalog

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had this for years, finally decided to scan it and post it. Enjoy, let us know if you find your jeeps serial number on the list. Also, look at all the Cushmans, would love to know the various models, bet most were Navy models. Also there were a few Harleys too. Enjoy!!!

WAA Surplus Sale 9-11-1946.pdf

maurywhurt

Unfortunately, the link to the .pdf above seems to have stopped working....hopefully you can repost that when you get a chance, Austringer! I understand this catalog includes both the serial and hood numbers of the vehicles that were listed for sale, which makes it particularly interesting.

I did a little research and learned that the records of the WAA and its predecessor, the War Assets Corporation (WAC), are stored in the National Archives. These records are not all stored in one place, but are spread out in various locations around the country near the geographical areas where the assets were sold. The following link shows these records storage locations (though not all states are represented here for some reason):

http://www.archives.gov/research/guide- ... s/270.html

Based on prior research I've been able to do on my jeep, I have reason to believe it was originally sold by the WAC/WAA somewhere in northern New Jersey. Someday, I hope to visit the National Archives repository in New York and see if I can get really lucky and find the actual record of my jeep's original sale. Although such records might not pin down to which base my jeep was assigned, they should pinpoint the location it was sold from. This would in turn likely indicate the general geographical area where it served during the war (I'm virtually certain that my jeep was not a bring-back from overseas). In some cases, these sales may even have occurred from the same base where a particular vehicle had been assigned.

Perhaps one day, enough HMV owners will get interested in doing this research. If these records, complete with serial & hood numbers, were gradually dug up and posted, they could be compiled into a database that would be extremely helpful to many WWII vehicle owners.

Has anyone reading this ever tried doing this kind of research in the WAA archives? If so, I hope you'll respond and summarize your experience with that.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks