• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

900 series 5 ton cabover

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is for all you guys out there with far more practical fabrication experience than I have but since I have a wild imagination and too much time on my hands I'll throw this out there.

The 900 series 5 tons are coming out in large numbers which means they are going to get pretty cheap (as witnessed by my buddy that got two very nice M931 W/W trucks for around $2200.00 each out of Camp Shelby).

It crossed my mind that a civilian cabover body (with sleeper) would fit nicely on the 900 frame.

Since the transmission is cable actuated there would not be an issue with mechanical linkage to the tranny.

Some issues would be the steering linkage, air lines (to actuate brakes) and electrical connections since the cab would have to tilt up pretty steep to gain access to the engine.

Most of the brake hardware would still be on a donor cab as would electrical and even the heating/cooling system.

Truck scrapyards are loaded with these cabs and could prob be bought for a little over scrap price.

Any thoughts from the faithful?

jtron79

I have wanted to make an MTV clone as they don't come up often, I like the ford c8000 cabs, not sleeper and probably not nearly as big as what you're eluding to (i'm guessing freightshaker) but since you're going usually air brake to air brake and most of the tip mechanism is already in place it wouldn't be that hard. I say Deuce bed and a HEMTT cab though :)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I say Deuce bed and a HEMTT cab though
Having a lot of stick time in a HEMMT I can tell you that while that cab has a cool factor it is a poor way to make a living. They are cramped, have sucky visibility, no mechanical linkage to the steering box (all hydrolic) and are actually a "cab foreward" design".

In a sleeper cabover you would have a lot better ride (air ride seats would fit), more room and better creature comforts. You would also have a ready made hooch to camp out in at rallys.

Some of the later ones had air bags between the cab and frame.

I'm thinking of something like what's in the pic.

Attachments

Bighurt

Richard seeing that no US manufacturer makes a cabover anymore, I wouldn't put it past DOT to outlaw them.

Just saying, but if you found one it would work. The NHC-250 isn't any larger than a Detroit, or Cummins 350. My issue would be people get pissed at being held up at 55mph, but don't say anything about OD iron. When the get held up by a 80's cabover they may.

salvorone@aol.com

i am a retried trucker over 1.5 million miles logged . having said that , cabovers were ok but in a front end collision , your the first one there ! ok ill be real , the cabover was utilised because of the short wheelbase , dot regulated the overall length sooo with no hood you could pull a longer trailer , cabovers are cool but the ride isnt as smooth as a long hood. i had one with a 671 detroit , another with a 220 cummins and yet another with a 250 cummins ,
i agree with bighurt youll be a rolling roadblock
most cabovers have allready been sctapped or went to mexico and points south . every one has a dream hope yours come true
i allways wanted a kenworth aerodine with double bunks ohh well your probably tired of my rambling see ya

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I started driving commercially in 1977 and have driven just about every misbegotten design ever inflicted on truck drivers.

International 4070 single axle, White Road Commander (Road Commode), Petes, KW's. Freightliners, etc. The Whites were notorious for the wiring catching on fire going down the road.

The rough ride can be tamed with a long wheelbase and air ride......the first one to the scene of the crash can't...just a hazard (just expect Joe Stupid driver to do the dumbest thing possible and plan for it).

Whoever thought the FMTV's were a good idea was an idiot.....cabover and high center of gravity......just a rollover looking for a place to happen.

I just thought it was an interesting idea...I have neither the time, money or expertise to attempt it.

rorybellows

move the cab a little further back, add another tag, or even permanent axle, and fab up a front hood and you got yourself a het clone/bastard

I love the old Mack
Yeah, the Mack was real nice. It had the Mack ENDT865 V-8 Mack engine w Dynatard engine brake, Mack 5 spd Trans, and Mack rear. It was built in Hayward Calif. Alot of Aluminum components for lighter weight. I really did'nt want to sell her, but my friend is going to do a complete restoration on her and I had not the time or money to do that. And I'd like to see her shine like a new one again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks