• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

900A1/A2 vs. HEMTT Rims?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need some advice from those of you who have been down this road. GENSCO here in Houston has some great deals on both the 5 ton bolt together rims used on the 900A1/A2 series trucks and the bolt together HEMTT rims. They seem to have different offsets, by about 3" maybe. Which do I want to use on the back of an older 5 ton?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go with the 5 ton rims, especially if the prices are close. I have never used the HEMTT rims on anything but a HEMTT, but I have read that guys say that the studs on a 5 ton are a bit too short for the HEMTT rims.

ranchhopper

HEMTT rims have less backspacing making them stick out further it depends on the stance you want for your truck if you want a wider stance use the HEMTT wheels.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
pictures borrowed from other members here.....

Backspace for HEMTT wheels is 8 7/8", mounted as shown (left pic),
while the 900series wheel's (right pic) backspace should be around 10 1/2"...? (Anyone please correct/ confirm...)

Centerplate thickness:
HEMTT, 2 halves @ 3/8"each = .75" total
900's 5ton: single disc, stamped = .47"

G.

Attachments

Stalwart

Another issue is weight, the HEMTT rims will add more unsprung weight to your vehicle, not really a good thing. They were designed to survive over 14,000 lb. of load EACH in combat conditions as a super single. They are however, VERY nice rims!

jimmcld

I have the HEMTT rims with 1600's. Great thing about them is that there is no rubbing issues with the front tires going full lock to lock without rubbing and no need to reverse the hubs.

Mack 121472

i in stalled himitt wheels on my m920 an a 818 tractor all you do is re install the iner nut an set the wheel on an the iner spools works great it is long enough to reach thrue the himitt wheels if you have ???? call me it is easy to do 575-491-4422 my name is Linn

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, the studs are too short only on the front axle.

If you use the wheels pictured below, that have full offset, you wouldn't be able to run 16.00's on the front axle.

Note: if someone could enlighten me as to what series vehicle these were used on, it would be appreciated.

Attachments

reb87

the five ton wheels are only rated for around 9000 lbs(maybe 9500) and lower pressure(90 or 95 psi) in case you ever really load your truck heavy like I do... I use a cut off saw to cut the large end off of the thimble nut and then thread it on, put the hemtt wheel on that and then tighten down the outside nut on the wheel. That works great...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks