• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"91 m923A2 won't start after sitting overnight....

shorty53

As title says, truck won't start after sitting overnight.
Replaced lift pump (didn't need to!).
Can get to start if I manually pump up fuel at lift pump, with injection pump "return" line cracked open, until I get stream of fuel.
Where is my probable "air leak" causing the IP to lose prime?
Thanks

wilmart01

As title says, truck won't start after sitting overnight.
Replaced lift pump (didn't need to!).
Can get to start if I manually pump up fuel at lift pump, with injection pump "return" line cracked open, until I get stream of fuel.
Where is my probable "air leak" causing the IP to lose prime?
Thanks
I had problems with air in the fuel line, the mechanic couldn't figure out, now I keep my tank full all the time and the problem went away.

Ue413

I do two things.....take off fuel filter housing, top off with diesel and replace. Take one of the fittings off the tank and with an air hose, inflate tank until you hear a burp, then replace fitting before air leaks out. Make sure your batteries are charged, shut-off is not engaged and crank.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's way too much work every time you want to start a truck, mine sits for weeks and fires right up. You have a hairline crack in the fuel line somewhere. Try filling the tank completely, if it starts, your problem is the line inside the tank. If it still does not start, its between the tank and the engine. Rubber line is cheap to replace. Its there somewhere.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Also the tank selector valve is a KNOWN issue, the O rings dry and crack, then suck air or allow prime to be lost.

mcmullag

pin hole size or smaller size hole in a fuel line sucking in air. Wish these trucks had intank fuel pump like a deuce and pushed the fuel to the engine instead of this set up that pulls the fuel from the tank to the engine. mine was the line from frame to filter, got a new hose made at at PH hydraulic place since it had those pressed on hose ends like hydraulic hoses do.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep, saw that AFTER I posted, I "read" 931, but was still drinking my first cup of coffee AND did not have my glasses on.

trooper632

Yep fuel line from lift pump to the fuel big fuel filter can. Replaced mine and starts every time, the hose didn't look bad either but it was

Csm Davis

Guy's come on these trucks are 30-40 years old replace all the rubber fuel line, and if you have that tiny inline filter replace it with a big military or civilian spin on type you will be happy you did.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey Shorty, my truck had the same issues and replaced filter and rubber fuel lines. Didn't really change anything. I decided to pull the pickup tube from the tank and touched the tube at the fitting and it just about fell out of the fitting. Resoldered the tube to the fitting and reinstalled and solved the problem. Used to have to prime every time to start. Now it can sit for a week and have no problems with prime. Starts right up. Good luck.:driver:

Csm Davis

thanks everyone,
Csm Davis, you talking about small filter located on rear, left, side engine above lift pump?
No, on all 939A2's they were built with an inline small silver fuel filter like you would find on a jeep. They were such a failure that the guy's would take boxes of them with them and the military issued a replacement kit with an old style big canister filter and hoses. The filter on the engine is on all 8.3L that I have ever seen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks