• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

911 MEP-831a not transfering fuel

Cord

Currently up north and my 831 is giving me grief. Ive been running the unit off a 30 gallon auxilary tank. Tank gauge says 1/4 full. Generator was running fine when it shut down. Low fuel light was lit. Main tank gauge shows 3/8 full. I got 5 gallons of on road diesel and tipped it into the auxilary tank. Turned the switch to run and i could hear both pumps clattering. I left it like this for a while, but the low fuel light wouldnt turn off. Finally flipped on battle short and the gererator ran normally. After an hour of run time, i noticed the low fuel light was still on.

Now the unit is sputtering like its out of fuel. Main tank is still on 3/8 and the fuel in the bowl is red. By now it should be green. I’m thinking its out of fuel. The transfer pump is definetly clattering. I pulled the transfer hose off and there is no noticable suction. I’m guessing the transfer pump failed and the replacement gauge also failed. Im gonna get some more fuel for the main tank and that should get us back up and running.

Is there a better way to diagnose the fuel pump? Are there rebuild parts available? Looking to get this diagnosed before leave this afternoon.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best thing to do is pop the lines off the fuel pump and connect up with known good lines to see if it will move fuel. You should be able to test with your AUX fuel line. If the pump works solo you have a line blockage somewhere. Not real common but it does happen.

uniquify

There is a small strainer/filter between the aux pump and the aux inlet fitting. Any chance that is plugged?

Edit:
Just checked my 831. It has a Hastings Filters GF27 In-Line Fuel Filter.

Last edited:

Cord

Pulled the filter and it was clogged so good call there. I was able to find as replacement filter on eBay. Generac Guardian 087769 appears to be a spot-on match.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks