• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

915a1,tanker,tanker

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vapor recovery system equipped trailers seem to of only been sent to states CONUS that had stringent laws regarding that sort of stuff. In Texas, we had non vapor recovery trailers.

When i was in California, we were told NOT to bring any NON VRS equipped trailers, and we used the VRS equipped ones they had for us for my stay in CA.

Reb87 ,
Looking at the connection to the dolly and the second tanker in your pics, I don't see any air lines for brakes connected. Did you have air to the brakes on the second tanker and dolly? Also did the tanker have a electrical plug to connect for the lights or did you tap into the wiring.
Considering doing this type of recovery on some van trailers very soon, if I can deem it is safe to attempt. Thanks!

reb87

I hooked into the air lines on the back of the first trailer to operate the second trailer and dolly. Its been too long but it was pretty easy to hook up with some purchased fittings. I used wireless magnetic lights for the back trailer and they worked great. www.towmart.com/wireless-tow-lights They were expensive but I have brought so much stuff home I decided I really needed a set. I have a transmitter that works on my 915a1 and 920 and another one for my ford pickup and suburban so I can use them for all of my towing needs. They said they could make a transmitter for my 818 too but I dont do much long distance towing with it. Most of the van trailers are air/hydraulic brakes so you will need to run longer air hoses to hook into the front trailer. Ross

reb87

If you look closely at the pics you can see black rubber air hoses going up over the toolbar on the back of the first trailer. also I got the triples and doubles endorsement and tanker endorsement on my cdl with this in mind.

Thanks for the info! I just aquired a set of the Wireless magnetic tow lights at Tractor Supply. I have had double and tripples endorsement on my CDL for many years now, haven't used it much though. The vans are air over hydraulic brakes. Nice thing is at the rear there is a pintle hitch and glad hand air connections for the brakes also an electrical plug for lighting. I know its intended for smaller trailers (like a 105, etc), and wasn't intended for doubles but afew guys ive asked said it should be okay as long as the trailer is empty. The empty weight of the trailer is just under 10k from what ive read. Maybe it will work.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's one heck of a setup man. Glad it hauled for you.

And yes, we do have 7,500 gal tankers, but they are not very common. Any A0 or A1 varients should probably be getting turned in soon, but I really don't know. They only exist in a few "line Haul" fuel companies. Most of these companies are currently 88Ms with HAZMAT certs not 92Fs as the line haul companies do not actually distro fuel.

glj

Banned
Reb, I hope you don't mind my butting into an old thread, but I was cureous about an earlier post you wrote, stating that one of the M967's would be used to carry water. Someone in town here wants to sell me a nice M969, but I am equivocating because I haven't yet had time to discover whether you could carry and pump (?different pump mechanics) water on the highway if the trailer is made for fuel. I contract with BLM to carry 1200 gal water off road or 2400 gal if deliverable on a gravel/dirt road to support fire crews. If my wife could get her CDL she could follow, pulling the M969 with our M915 and I would have a "mothership" capable of 3-4 refills, and this way I can have quicker turnaround rather than sucking from a dry mudhole. Most water tenders are single tanks incorporated into a single vehicle; not a semi. So she would have to stand back 20 miles or so, and I would fetch the water from her supply. Since water is denser than diesel and aircraft fuels I realize I would not be able to haul a full tanker filled with water. I was just wondering if you had any thoughts re the compatibility of a single hull of 304SS hauling water on public roads; would folks frown on it? Would the pumps work as well, given different densities? The BLM will be the final arbitor, but I haven't spoken with them yet. Don't know if they allow semi's on a gravel road pointing toard a fire. My tactical truck is the M923 with nicely fabricated Al tank. Thanks. Gary.

Last edited:

glj

Banned
If you look closely at the pics you can see black rubber air hoses going up over the toolbar on the back of the first trailer. also I got the triples and doubles endorsement and tanker endorsement on my cdl with this in mind.
Reb, I hope you don't mind my butting into an old thread, but I was cureous about an earlier post you wrote, stating that one of the M967's would be used to carry water. Someone in town here wants to sell me a nice M969, but I am equivocating because I haven't yet had time to discover whether you could carry and pump (?different pump mechanics) water on the highway if the trailer is made for fuel. I contract with BLM to carry 1200 gal water off road or 2400 gal if deliverable on a gravel/dirt road to support fire crews. If my wife could get her CDL she could follow, pulling the M969 with our M915 and I would have a "mothership" capable of 3-4 refills, and this way I can have quicker turnaround rather than sucking from a dry mudhole. Most water tenders are single tanks incorporated into a single vehicle; not a semi. So she would have to stand back 20 miles or so, and I would fetch the water from her supply. Since water is denser than diesel and aircraft fuels I realize I would not be able to haul a full tanker filled with water. I was just wondering if you had any thoughts re the compatibility of a single hull of 304SS hauling water on public roads; would folks frown on it? Would the pumps work as well, given different densities? The BLM will be the final arbitor, but I haven't spoken with them yet. Don't know if they allow semi's on a gravel road pointing toard a fire. My tactical truck is the M923 with nicely fabricated Al tank. Thanks. Gary.

reb87

I use my trailer with water to keep our chemical sprayer filled on the farm . The engine on my 969 isn't functional so I use a commercial Honda for pumping. On my first 969 I was using the original engine/pump with water and it worked great. I sold it to someone who was going to use it for fuel on the farm. Both the 967 went to nd for water in the oil industry. I think the manual gave the weight that the tank was rated for so you can figure how much water will work. The valve on the bottom of the tank has given me some sticking probs, I never used it with fuel so don't know but perhaps the water doesn't work well with aluminum valve componets

Peter1999

I use my trailer with water to keep our chemical sprayer filled on the farm . The engine on my 969 isn't functional so I use a commercial Honda for pumping. On my first 969 I was using the original engine/pump with water and it worked great. I sold it to someone who was going to use it for fuel on the farm. Both the 967 went to nd for water in the oil industry. I think the manual gave the weight that the tank was rated for so you can figure how much water will work. The valve on the bottom of the tank has given me some sticking probs, I never used it with fuel so don't know but perhaps the water doesn't work well with aluminum valve componets
Haha. Hey maybe I'll see the tankers somewhere here in nd.

glj

Banned
small update, M969"A0" are at an MEL of $0. A1s may be included but I don't remember exactly.
I apologize, but I don't know what an MEL = $0 means. Would you kindly explain. I just read the following:
The MLE estimator $\hat{\theta}_{ML}$ is defined the global maximum that
solves the f.o.c. of log-likelihood function%
\begin{equation*}

Thanks,
gary

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary,

Sorry... translation: Maintenance Expenditure Limit, IE how much the Army is willing to invest in a piece of equipment before determining it is not economically (aka financially) feasible to repair vs. buy new... an MEL of $0 means that the Army has determined it will not spend any money to repair a piece of equipment when it breaks. no service kits, no repair pairs, no tires, not even a lightbulb or a washer. Next stop for something with a $0 MEL is DRMO/DLA/Gov't Liquidations.

glj

Banned
Gary,

Sorry... translation: Maintenance Expenditure Limit, IE how much the Army is willing to invest in a piece of equipment before determining it is not economically (aka financially) feasible to repair vs. buy new... an MEL of $0 means that the Army has determined it will not spend any money to repair a piece of equipment when it breaks. no service kits, no repair pairs, no tires, not even a lightbulb or a washer. Next stop for something with a $0 MEL is DRMO/DLA/Gov't Liquidations.
Very informative. Big thank you. glj