• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

915a2 fuel issues

GoinNutts

Picked up a 915A2 truck out of Barstow w/ no keys and wasted batteries. I had it flat bed it to my yard where I replaced batteries and new ignition switch. It has Detroit Series 60 and Allison auto w/ 29k miles. It originally would not start and the ether injection was empty. I checked fuel/water separator and fuel filter and they where almost empty. The fuel tank was full when I received truck so I figured it was ran empty and parked. I filled both filters with fuel and gave it a quick shot of ether and it came to life. It will run about 5 mins and then dies and sounds like it is running out of fuel. I removed the fuel filters again and they were almost empty again. I bought new filters figuring maybe they were sucking air by the orings. I filled the new filters w/ fresh fuel, installed them and started the truck. Same thing runs maybe 5 minutes and runs out of fuel. The fuel gauge reads 20 psi at idle and that according to TM 10 should be at about 30-40 psi. I tried to locate a TM 20 and was not able to find one. I have a TM 10 and found someone posted a TM 24 but need to fault trace fuel system first before I will need a parts list. If someone has a TM 20 they can post or give me a link to one it would be greatly appreciated. If someone has a TM 9-2320-363-20 (I believe is the shop manual I need) for sale please PM me. If anyone has any hints or advise that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

aua

GoinNutts

Derrickl112
This system has a supply and return w/ injectors under valve cover there are not individual injector lines like on the 6.2. I had it running twice for about 5 mins until it ran the fuel filters out of fuel.

Castle Bravo
Thanks I forgot about that source even though I had Jatonka bookmarked

GoinNutts

Thanks

Derrickl112
This system has a supply and return w/ injectors under valve cover there are not individual injector lines like on the 6.2. I had it running twice for about 5 mins until it ran the fuel filters out of fuel.

Castle Bravo
Thanks I forgot about that source even though I had Jatonka bookmarked

Scrounger

The problem sounds like fuel not getting to the filters. Start with the basics; check the fuel line from the first filter back to the tank. There could be a kink, loose fitting, a pin hole in a line, whatever. Then pull the pickup tube from the tank and make that it is there and not cracked or broken. If those steps don’t find the problem disconnect the fuel line at the first fuel filter, connect the pickup tube to the line outside of the tank. Blow air thru the line to make sure it is clear and to check for leaks. Use soapy water or something like spray nine on the lines and fittings.
To confirm that it is the supply line causing the problem try running the engine off a remote fuel supply, like a jerry can strait to the fuel filter.

GoinNutts

Fuel path is tank, primary fuel filter, mechanical fuel pump, secondary fuel filter, injectors. Primary filter is full. Secondary filter is empty. Loosened up secondary filter and cranked over no fuel. Looking at fuel pump and it has orange silicone on the gasket. Orange silicone not O.E. looks like someone had it off/replaced. Orange silicone in my experience is a dead giveaway that someone has been there.

Does anyone know what the small fuel lines that make a loop with what looks like a solenoid valve between the fuel pump outlet and the secondary filter outlet does? Bypass??

Stonepicker1

Here is the your fuel system out of TM 9-2320-363-24P.

I don't think its a check valve problem. Like some have already said...you are sucking air or there is no fuel being sucked from inside the tank.

Attachments

GoinNutts

1st off thanks to everyone for their input

I have looked at the 24 TM and I can't id the one thing in my attachment and do not know its purpose. I figure if I loosened the secondary filter the pump should have blown fuel everywhere when I cranked it over. But Nothing. Remember primary filter is full and pump should have pumped the primary down if the secondary is loose since pump is between the 2 filters. If it was sucking air the pump should have emptied the primary filter. SO I either have a bad pump or a blocked fuel supply from tank. Maybe I am wrong or the mystery unit I can't explain is the answer or someone might see it different. Hopefully someone can id the mystery unit???

Attachments

Just curious, but you said the truck had a full tank of fuel when you got it. Did you actually
look in the tank to verify it was full or is the fuel gauge just reading full? Saw a M931 that was doing the same thing, run about 5 min and quit. the fuel filter housing was nearly empty, and the guy said the fuel tank was full. After filling up the filter housing and replacing it, same thing. turns out the fuel gauge was reading full and the tank was almost completely empty. but if you looked straight down in the tank( that screen makes it difficult to see) the tank looked like it had plenty of fuel until a flash light was used and we could see barely the sides ot the tank. Anyway just curious, hope you're problem is somethung simple like that was!

GoinNutts

I wish it was that simple. I did look in the tank and fuel is full. I usually apply the KISS method at first and work through it all. I have a mighty vac canister and am going to try applying vacuum at the fuel pump inlet hose to simulate what the pump does and see what happens.

aua

GoinNutts

OK FINALLY GOT IT. After staring at it for a while and pacing around it and scratching my head, I came to the conclusion it had to be sucking air so I bypassed the primary filter head (the one with the primer and misc garbage on it) filled up the secondary filter and shot of ether and OH YAH it purred. The fuel pressure stabilized and I let it run for about ten minutes and I ran it for a test drive. Perfect! The dash warning lights were out, gauges all in normal ranges, good power and a giant grin. I luckily had a parker 490R10 on the self for my F650 w/Cat.

Can anyone give me a source for the ether bottles for the ether injection system?

Thanks for all the input it is VERY HELPFULL to have this forum with input and a place to talk through these diagnostic problems.

:beer:

Ord22

glad to hear you got her running. are you going to another adapter for your primary filter? the detroit series 60 engine is a good engine!! i work on those at my job. check your lines and the adapter for any damage. make sure they are tight. if you need any help, holla back.