• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

92 m998 wont turn over. wait light and volt gauge are not working

dvanz

hello all i have read a lot of post and have been able to get things done from a lot of past posts and responses. i have to post this one bc i have not seen what my next step is or a link to a post for it. the issue at hand is i had a bad wiring harness and i have replaced it very meticulously making sure to hook one thing up after it was unplugged to insure it was right. with that said new batteries are in the truck already.

the wait light is not working, when the truck is in run the volt gauge doesn't show anything. it will crank but not turn over. i have checked the eess with the multi meter and it shows i am getting volts coming through it. can anyone please give me a heads up on what i need to check next?

thank you so much

Dock Rocker

Is it in neutral and have you checked the neutral safety switch? That will cause a no crank situation.

My guess is you have a fried start box. Check your glow plugs. If they are all toast then you likely need a new box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvanz

thanks for the response Dock, i have it in neutral it cranks but wont turn over. i also checked the NSS by putting it in gear and trying to start it, it will not even crank in gear so from what i have read that means that is ok.

i will check the glow plugs and re post the findings for them.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the response Dock, i have it in neutral it cranks but wont turn over. i also checked the NSS by putting it in gear and trying to start it, it will not even crank in gear so from what i have read that means that is ok.

i will check the glow plugs and re post the findings for them.
Your post isn't making much sense , what do you mean by "it cranks but won't turn over" ?
Do you mean it cranks but won't start ?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From the title I thought you needed a wrecker to turn it over so you could lube the underside like the GIMP DOES.

BLK HMMWV

I'm guessing glow plugs or controller.
is it a new control box ?
if so did you remember to disconnect battery before swapping out control box.?
Are the batteries fully charged they may be new but need charging

dvanz

the glow plugs would make the wait light and volt gauge not work now?

the control box has connectivity can shows the correct voltage on both sides(wiring harness side and wires to the ignition switch)
i disconnect the battery before doing any wire work. they are new batteries and the multi meter says they are good.

Dock Rocker

Have you checked the glow plugs. I will be dollars to doughnuts you need a new controller, temp sensor and 8 new GP’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
How about a sticky notes on this subject. Would be a good place to reference and point new and seasoned owners to.

Can't start, won't crank, use to start, wait light flashing, glow plugs working or not, smoke, now what? These problems common to Hmmwv (check spelling) and trying to answer with limited info posted is a "shot gun" approach. There are flow chart to this in the TM's ( had to say it)

It is fun to try and help "remote diagnose" any of these problems with mixed results. Sticky, printed out... and in hand, when under the hood with a simple flow chart and tests would same time, frustration and keystrokes.

With winter just around the comer the cycle starts again?

Grumpy, Cranky, with a greasy keyboard, CAM

Last edited:

sandcobra164

No smoke indicates no fuel getting to the injectors. Try these steps. 1. Loosen the flat tip screw on the top of the fuel filter housing located behind the alternator on the driver's side of the engine bay. While wearing safety glasses, have an assistant crank the engine and watch for a spray of fuel. If you do not have fuel, crank a little longer but no more than 60 seconds of total cranking time will prime a fuel filter from bone dry if the mechanical pump is good. If you do not get fuel at this point, you need to work backwards towards the fuel tank. If you have fuel lets move on. 2. With the truck in the "run" position remove the fuel shut-off solenoid wire. The the round connector coming from the top of the injection pump. Holding it close, plug and unplug listening for a "click" to indicate the fuel solenoid is free. If you do not get a click, could be a solenoid issue or the inside of the injection pump could be gummed up. If this is your problem I'll post how to fix it. If this is good we'll move on. 3. Put your safety glasses back on and loosen a hard injection line on at least 1 injector. Have your assistant crank the engine and look for fuel to spray. If this is not happening and you're satisfied with the previous steps, it may well be time to have the injection pump serviced by a competent person. Try these steps and let us know what you come up with.

tage

No smoke indicates no fuel getting to the injectors. Try these steps. 1. Loosen the flat tip screw on the top of the fuel filter housing located behind the alternator on the driver's side of the engine bay. While wearing safety glasses, have an assistant crank the engine and watch for a spray of fuel. If you do not have fuel, crank a little longer but no more than 60 seconds of total cranking time will prime a fuel filter from bone dry if the mechanical pump is good. If you do not get fuel at this point, you need to work backwards towards the fuel tank. If you have fuel lets move on. 2. With the truck in the "run" position remove the fuel shut-off solenoid wire. The the round connector coming from the top of the injection pump. Holding it close, plug and unplug listening for a "click" to indicate the fuel solenoid is free. If you do not get a click, could be a solenoid issue or the inside of the injection pump could be gummed up. If this is your problem I'll post how to fix it. If this is good we'll move on. 3. Put your safety glasses back on and loosen a hard injection line on at least 1 injector. Have your assistant crank the engine and look for fuel to spray. If this is not happening and you're satisfied with the previous steps, it may well be time to have the injection pump serviced by a competent person. Try these steps and let us know what you come up with.
This. A truck won't start if it doesn't have fuel in the first place. You should have heavy puffs of gray/white smoke while the engine cranks over. Might take the tail end of 30 seconds to be noticeable, but let the starter cool down then go back cranking it. You should see unburnt diesel smoke.

I woud knock out your fuel issue first, then tackle pre-heat issue. as there's ways to fire an engine without glow plugs... *hint ether*

with no wait light, it could be just all of your glow plugs are bad. BUT be fully prepared to get a new glow plug box, and temp sender as mentioned before.

papakb

I'm always concerned when someone posts anything about using ether to start a HMMWV. Most people have no idea how explosive ether is and tend to overspray it into an engine when trying to start one that's cold. Too much ether getting into a diesel engine can do some serious damage to the engine because of the higher compression ratios diesels operate at. NEVER give is more than a very short burst of ether. Gasoline engines are more tolerant of ether because of lower compression ration but again don't give it more than a 1 second spray.