• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923 front end engaged all the time

TroyHog

My apologies in advance for not knowing the answer to this question already, BUT.......... It's deer season and I had my 923 out this weekend - yeah just because I love to drive it through the woods and you can see way better - anyway just like a kid in a candy store I couldn't resist the barn lot with a manure pile already pushed up in the middle. Of course I headed right for it.

I was surprised to look out my window and see the left front spinning. I have a switch on the dash that is labeled front wheel drive that turns on a light that is labeled diff lock. I assumed that the front end would not be engaged until the switch was activated.

I have noticed that it paws a little turning on a hard surface also. Not bad like jumping but just a little grabby.

What do I need to investigate?

Thanks in Advance.

TroyHog

Thanks for the direction. On a side note, when I got the truck home the linkage was missing to the transfer case lever. The truck was marked as a drivers training rig, and so I thought they may have removed it to keep someone from reversing in four low.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My apologies in advance for not knowing the answer to this question already, BUT.......... It's deer season and I had my 923 out this weekend - yeah just because I love to drive it through the woods and you can see way better - anyway just like a kid in a candy store I couldn't resist the barn lot with a manure pile already pushed up in the middle. Of course I headed right for it.

I was surprised to look out my window and see the left front spinning. I have a switch on the dash that is labeled front wheel drive that turns on a light that is labeled diff lock. I assumed that the front end would not be engaged until the switch was activated.

I have noticed that it paws a little turning on a hard surface also. Not bad like jumping but just a little grabby.

What do I need to investigate?

Thanks in Advance.
You weren't in low were you? That first picture looks like the air switch/valve is actuated from the angle of the arm.

MtnSnow

Looking at the 1st image it looks like the linkage is almost touching the transfer case which would mean the transfer case is in High but I agree that the washer on the linkage looks to be pushing the auto-engage switch forward which would cause the front axle to be engaged.

TroyHog

No I wasn't in low. I drove it down the highway to get to the farm I was working on. Can a person tell if the lines are swapped by my pictures? Thanks. I think the last image shows the distance between the washer and the actuator perhaps.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like your switch is stuck to engage. The switch should go either way but return to center on its own. In my picture below you can see the switch should be in line with the switch body and perpendicular to the shift rod when at rest. Don't mind the broken arm. That switch is going away when I remember to pick up a fitting. No sense in having another point of failure in the air system if I'm not going to use it.

The picture won't upload but try centering the arm and see if that fixes the problem. I'll try the picture later. I've got my spare tire removed so it's easy to see right now.

On Edit:

20151217_113036.jpg

Here ya go. For reference, the truck is in high range.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. So should I just eliminate this switch? I'm all for simple when I can obtain it.
So did it fix the problem?

You can remove it but that's up to you. The only thing that switch does is engage the front axle when you shift into low range. Most people disable it in some way or another so the axle can only engage by the dash switch. But...you still have a now useless valve in the air system with multiple seals that will eventually fail and cause a leak. I'm never going to use mine again so no need to keep it in there.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-to be clear, the switch engages the front axle when the transfer case is placed in low range. Take note of the caution placard on the dash, "Do not reverse in low range, damage will result." If you need to reverse the truck, place the transfer in high range and then reverse, if the front axle needs to be engaged, used the dash mounted switch. Replacing a transfer case is a tough job.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Scar.

I combined what we try to eliminate with the actual function of the switch. It came out all right in my head but didn't transfer correctly to my fingers. :grin:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Scar.

I combined what we try to eliminate with the actual function of the switch. It came out all right in my head but didn't transfer correctly to my fingers. :grin:
No problem, I have the same issues. Just think, when Apple comes out with the new "I Brain" chip, we won't have to use our hands to type, we'll just think text to each other. Can't wait.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks