• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923 gets a set of leslie train horns

ranchhopper

It took all weekend but they are installed and functional these are pretty heavy and even a steel hard top needed extra bracing to support them. I bought them from a SS member they were disassembled for packing into a box after I got them together and painted I made a base for them it wasnt enough which I found out after they were installed so I took them back off and welded two 28 inch sticks of angle iron to the original base I made and bolted the whole thing to the roof. Much better then I took some 1 inch thick plywood and cut supports for the inside of the cab made a filler panel to give it a more finished look then plumbed all the air to it no more bounce in the roof now. I ran a half inch line off one of the trucks air tanks to an auxilliary tank I made and installed to the inside of the bed than ran a half inch line to the horn valve from the extra tank. The larger tank and air line diameter gives more volume to the horn to make it sound right and believe me its loud I put a ball valve off the trucks tank to the tank the horn runs off of in case of a blown air line or other unforseen problems.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it. Was there no way to put the tank under the truck somewhere? That's the only thing I would have changed.

3dAngus

Just don't ever use it when you need it.

First thing you find out is, big truck and big air horn, blow it and watch the cars stop and look when you really wanted them to move out of the way. Very dangerous to use the horn when a car gets in your way.

ranchhopper

Just don't ever use it when you need it.

First thing you find out is, big truck and big air horn, blow it and watch the cars stop and look when you really wanted them to move out of the way. Very dangerous to use the horn when a car gets in your way.
This was put in as a novelty I will not abuse it like the jokers on u-tube do to scare people dont need law suit trouble. I just like the way these old leslies sound out in the country is where they sound best. As for the air tank it was to big to fit underneath my thought was to bolt it to the top of the tool box but it didnt fit. These horns need volume to sound right so the larger the air tank the better I may fab up a cage for it out of expanded metal to keep people from standing on it. Since the truck isnt used to haul anything but people I didnt have a problem locating it in back.

I have a set cf Nathan K5HL's on my M54a2.Have been on the truck for 3 years an never had any problems usiing them. If you don't do the stupid Utube stuff and use common sense there fun. Most people who see them ask to here them and love the sound. I have a manual trainhorn valve so the volume can be controled. I have done parades with them with no complants. I do agree they will stop traffic but the look on the idiot who pulls out in front of you is priceless Mike

Attachments

ranchhopper

I would have rather put them on the fender but the manifold is to wide and the 923 fender to narrow I didnt like drilling all those holes through the roof somewhere sometime its going to leak. No video of them in action yet I dont know how they will sound being on the roof I tested them before I mounted them they were loud even with ear protection the best way i guess is stand a ways away and have someone operate them and listen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks