• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923 gets locomotive horn today

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not had a problem with the police yet most just give me the thumbs up I suppose if they got to be a problem I could make a cover for them. My truck stays in my driveway so theft has not been a problem when it goes into winter storage the horn will be dismounted and stored in my shop until spring.
I took my horns off my truck, the cops around here are wrighting tickets for using them.

ranchhopper

Like I said before you have to use some restraint when and where to use them the idiots useing them to scare the he** out of people are the ones ruining a good thing for others.

tuckered

Just for information, locomotive horns/whistles have "socks" covering the trumpets, to keep snow, ice and other Debris out. That includes water. Nothing like getting them iced up during a snow storm. We will use the horns periodically during snow/ice storms, to keep them from being muffled or frozen up. If you want to display them, that's fine, but if they are your only horn, then I recommend that you cover them up.

BillabongKong

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most Awesome setup I have seen yet!
I had been looking for Leslies for the longest time.
I just gave up and purchased a set of Nathan KL5h for my 923 just this week. I will probably use them untill I get Lucky and find some Sweet sounding Leslies like yours!

Horns in hand I started climbing over the truck to look for the right place.
So many choices! On the fender? Center of the roof? Facing forward or rear?
Clamped to the spare tire hoist facing down? A 20 something young man wandered by while I was brainstorming and said. Are you kidding me this is New Jersey! If you don't hide them they wont be there in the morning. Besides he said, Officer hears the horn, sees the horn on your truck, You get a ticket!
So I thanked him for his wisdom, and crawled under the truck. Found a great place under the bed just behind the transfer case.

Ranchhopper (as well as any one else with technical expertise) I could really use your help with some of the concerns I have on this installation.
Im sure a truck traversing off road terrain is going to put a lot more strain on the 3" cast flange that mounts the horn than a locomotive on relatively smooth tracks. Do you think I should design a bracket that is suspended on springs?
Secondly I was planning on an 11 Gal. tank mounted on the toolbox, do you think that will be enough reserve?
I have the same Graham White valve. What diameter tubing did you use, and do the 90 Degree bends effect the flow?
Any help would be appreciated.
So I can join the "Overly Loud Crowd" !!!
Thanks Frank

Last edited:

ranchhopper

You have to be careful where you install them you dont want them behind you want them projecting the noise in front of you. I think if you put a ball valve in line not reachable from inside the cab and turn them off while driving you would get some leeway from the cops. If you get stopped and show them they are disabled from use inside the cab until you turn the air supply valve on you might get a warning but not a ticket. Frank you should be OK with the add on air tank you bought heres a picture of one of the extra tanks I added to my truck I put another one on top of the tool box on the passenger side of the truck. You can plumb in a half inch air line off the air tank under the passenger side of the truck under the cab along the frame rail there is a half inch bung there plugged off thats where mine is attached. Use a shut off or ball valve coming off the tank just incase you have trouble shutting the horn down or blow a fitting that way the whole system can be shut off. Frank the nathan airchimes are smaller than the leslies mount them under the truck under the engine just back of the front bumper they will sound better and not give you a headache being behind the cab they are LOUD and you really want the sound in front of you.

Attachments

BillabongKong

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice and the additional pictures!
Everything you say makes perfect sense, in front of the cab would be much better. I agree it would be a lot more convincing if there was silence when the officer yanks that huge train horn handle in the cab! Also I had not noticed that additional fitting , its perfect. I was going to T off from some other place. but that is much easier. Thanks for making my job easier and good luck. I guess that makes you the president of the "Overly Loud Crowd"
Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks