• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923A1 .. Going turbo next week...

jarhead1086

I have some turbos brand new for sale that might work for these applications, they are for the NTC 400 if I am not mistaken. PM if interested, thx
Thanks Powerstroke. I received the turbo today very well packaged and preserved air tight with an oil film. This is a serious contraption and heavy! I read the warning from Borg Warner about FOD ingress being the most common cause of failure. They also warn about loading the housing and causing internal clearance issues from poor support or mounting. This is all new to me so I am relying on the knowledge here to keep from making these mistakes. I have found a pull out engine in a local yard I can take manifolds from. One has a huge intercooler, but its corroded and ugly and wouldn't match this new turbo even after elbow grease. They also told me about an air to air cooler but I have not read up on these yet. I would also like to hear some SS opinion.

PowerstrokeNC

Glad it made the ride without any problems :driver:

Let me say I am no expert by any means but have fooled around with turbos/intercoolers on smaller gas engines and mid size diesels (power strokes) and I am not sure what your plans are.
However my 2c is with a mod on the NHC 250, you are going to/should be very mild on the boost as there are limitations to how far you can push a stock engine without inviting failure to the party.
So you will probably be around 5-8 PSI on boost which will give the motor a nice bump in output/responsiveness but not stress anything too badly. This low boost should not require an intercooler. Your fuel will need to be turned up to match the increased air during combustion. and of course you will need a EGT gauge to keep an eye on things, especially during a long pull uphill or with a load.

Another thing to keep in mind (hence the mild boost) is the transmission can only handle about 950 Ft/lbs of torque. Which is probably a conservative number but still with these kind of mods if you get crazy then somethings going to break.

When i was modding my turbo vehicles I always was careful not to firewall the throttle from a light or pull heavy loads without taking it easy both for the transmission survival but also to keep the EGT's in check. This saved me from a lot of headaches and failures.

I think the mod you are doing will make the truck soooo much nicer and responsive to drive. The big displacement gives you some grunt the minute you step on the pedal at a light then as the turbo builds boost it will keep you accelerating nicely without falling on its face which is what a stock NHC 250 does.

Keep us updated on progress, looking forward to this!

Jayco36REQS

Well... Its a bust... the guy that was supposed to be doing my turbo didn't have a clue about military trucks, and was about to totally F up the location of the turbo and other components.. He had the truck a month and basically didn't do squat!! Yea, needless to say I was pissed beyond measure!! :x

So I told him to put the stock exhaust manifold back on and I'll do it myself later!!

What a waste of a month! gggrrrrrrr....

jarhead1086

I saw the job that M215 did adding the turbo to his M813, we should hire him. He made it look easy under a narrower hood. I am thinking about pulling the heater box and heating the cab with a 24V instead to make more room. The tranny filter underneath could be moved to the frame below and to the side of the alternator maybe. The only other obstacle is the surge tank drain line. I would like to shorten it and braze the same clamp size on it as there is on the other end of the line so I don't need the tapered silicone pipe. All 3 exhaust manifold sections at my local yard 90 up as they exit the block so the turbo sits higher. I will have to mess with this over winter because I will be camping in the desert in Oct & Nov and don't want it tore apart. I don't know what I am doing so it will take longer like it always does on your first run. I usually only have problems when I think I know what I am doing and rush.

jdknech

Well... Its a bust... the guy that was supposed to be doing my turbo didn't have a clue about military trucks, and was about to totally F up the location of the turbo and other components.. He had the truck a month and basically didn't do squat!! Yea, needless to say I was pissed beyond measure!! :x

So I told him to put the stock exhaust manifold back on and I'll do it myself later!!

What a waste of a month! gggrrrrrrr....
bring it to haspin, we'll get er done for ya!! lol but seriously, if you take your time and think it through, it shouldn't take long.. I had mine done in a day.. the manifolds are super easy to remove and replace (i'll take a 250 manifold anyday over a normal pickup truck) and re-locating the surge tank and heater box shouldnt be too bad either.. I moved my surge tank to the drivers side, and built a bracket to mount it to the new intake manifold.. when I get home from work this morning, I will try to remember to take some pics..

jarhead1086

I will be pulling the exhaust manifolds off the parts truck on Monday. Probably take the oil lines and flexible 5" exhaust line too. The parts truck has a huge liquid intercooler which I don't want to mess with. I am curious what your new intake manifold looks like jdknech. I am also curious to see how you attached the surge tank and lines on the drivers side. Since I am running new 5" exhaust out the back I will have the original muffler area open. Considering mounting the top of the snorkel and a new modern air filter/housing where the muffler was. Then I will have all the air going through the turbo from the same side and then cross over to the intake like you would on an M813. I could use the space where the air cleaner is now for a 12v battery bank and or another tool box. I was also thinking about making a new stainless surge tank with a shape that would give some better mounting options at the same altitude for the waterline. I have all winter in my heated garage, but I am just looking for general direction from the RKI's.

jdknech

I will be pulling the exhaust manifolds off the parts truck on Monday. Probably take the oil lines and flexible 5" exhaust line too. The parts truck has a huge liquid intercooler which I don't want to mess with. I am curious what your new intake manifold looks like jdknech. I am also curious to see how you attached the surge tank and lines on the drivers side. Since I am running new 5" exhaust out the back I will have the original muffler area open. Considering mounting the top of the snorkel and a new modern air filter/housing where the muffler was. Then I will have all the air going through the turbo from the same side and then cross over to the intake like you would on an M813. I could use the space where the air cleaner is now for a 12v battery bank and or another tool box. I was also thinking about making a new stainless surge tank with a shape that would give some better mounting options at the same altitude for the waterline. I have all winter in my heated garage, but I am just looking for general direction from the RKI's.

I keep forgeting to take pictures, but I will try to remember to get some when I get home in the morning..
my intake is a old style with no innercooler, so there is a pipe that goes from the turbo, over the engine into the top of the intake.. the intake looks a lot like the current one on the truck, but the charge pipe goes in the top side towards the front, instead of the side at the rear.. and my surge tank is mounted off the intake manifold on the drivers side, I made a custom mount for it, it sits in a cradle, and is held down with 2 large hose clamps

Carlo

jdknech

Looks good! I wish I had the resources to make this conversion to all my A1's. The 250 really benefits from the turbo.
Yes, the 250 really does improve with the turbo, and running empty or with a LIGHT trailer, it's a rocket.. But you put a load behind it, and you start wishing for more gears really fast.. I lucked out on the parts, I have $200 in the whole setup.. And I found another turbo "kit" on a scrap truck I got for $150 that I put on the shelf.. Just incase I need it down the road..

jarhead1086

Thanks for taking time to share how you did this. I will be looking for an intake manifold like this one. My turbo will sit higher and closer to the block so it would be a short straight shot across. Still debating on the air filter, but leaning on mounting to the passenger side of the tire crane where my muffler was. I will be running close to empty as far as this truck is concerned, so I will live with the lack of gears and just enjoy the ride. I am learning and having fun wasting a little money on irresponsible toys.

jdknech

Thanks for taking time to share how you did this. I will be looking for an intake manifold like this one. My turbo will sit higher and closer to the block so it would be a short straight shot across. Still debating on the air filter, but leaning on mounting to the passenger side of the tire crane where my muffler was. I will be running close to empty as far as this truck is concerned, so I will live with the lack of gears and just enjoy the ride. I am learning and having fun wasting a little money on irresponsible toys.
Hey, as long as your having fun, and happy with it, that's all that matters!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks