• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923A2 Recovery Sparta to NE Dallas Area

WantOne

Just won a 923a2 out of Sparta. Will be going up in the next couple of weeks to drive it back home. Worked with Jeff and he has certainly lived up to his reputation.

Route will be down I35 to Emporia where I have relatives, then continue down I35 to the DFW area, or Hwy 75 which is my normal route back home.

Considering taking a slight detour and going by BFR Metals in Salina, KS if I can make it work. Will have to make sure I can be there during the week when they are open.

I_Publius

WantOne: are you flying up and then driving back down? Would you be going through the OKC area, by any chance?

if driving up, could I impose on you to drop a part off with Warthog up there? :)

WantOne

The first day is done. Jeff picked me up at the airport last night (flights delays caused me to be 2 hours later than planned), dropped me at a motel. This morning he picked me up and went over to his house to get the truck. Checked it over, took off the cargo cover, and then headed west. Bonus - full tank of fuel! Stopped by the Home Depot in La Cross to pick up tools and a fire extinguisher just in case. In and out of rain for a few hours then it cleared up when I headed south on I35. Then ran into rain again around Des Moines. Made it to Kansas City just as it was getting dark. Accident just outside of KC delayed me for a short time, then stopped for fuel in Ottawa, KS and waited out a line of Thunderstorms. Looks like I am getting about 10 mpg running 50-55 mph. Down the road again ending near Emporia, KS to stay the night with relatives. All in all a good day, 600 miles, no issues, but I might be sore tomorrow. Only 400 miles to home!

Here's a picture of Jeff and my truck this morning just before leaving.
Jeff and truck.jpg

WantOne

Misson Accomplished! Home safe and sound with no issues. 400 miles with one stop at Pauls Valley, OK.

Fittingly 1/2 hour from home another thunderstorm to drive in, but we need the rain.

Would be nice if the wiper wiped where I'm looking instead of over to the right. Guess I need to be 6 inches shorter. When it's not raining I'm looking through the wiper blade in the "parked position", then when it's raining it doesn't wipe that area. In both cases I find myself hunching down or leaning over to see which makes for a sore neck after doing that for hour after hour. Would be nice if the wiper would "park" to the right/middle of the windshield.
in Pauls Valley small.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks