• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

925A2 Hydraulic Rear Winch Add

74M35A2

Anybody done it? I see electric ones, but maybe I'm missing any hydro ones. I just picked up a second winch complete with brackets and frame extensions, clone of the front one I have, to add to the rear under the bed between the frame rails. Seems like a perfect fit with ample room behind the rear axle, just bolt and go (?). Looks like will need to notch the wood between the frame and the bed rail. Then plan to replace the cable actuated single hydraulic valve with two 24VDC solenoid types, one for each the front and rear. Maybe go air actuated PTO, and ditch the control tower completely. Finally water resistant momentary rocker switches both inside the cab and one at each bumper. I likely won't be using the frame extensions if I keep the rear cross member where it is. May lose the rear pintle gussets, oh well, don't use it much anyway.

This second winch had a level wind on it which I wanted also, so that will be going onto the front. Combined with the solenoid hydraulic valves, should make it reasonable to use by a single person (driver).

Stay tuned...

cruzinz28

I will definitely be following this thread

I have complete 5-ton hydraulic winch setup setting on a pallet in my maintenance tent along with a spare 5 ton winch that was never installed on a truck. My plan was to install the 5-ton hydraulic winch setup on the rear of my bobbed deuce, possibly installing the tower controls under the bed between mud flap and the tailgate so you could operate it like a roll back truck from the driver side.

Now... that plan may change if I am able to acquire a 5-ton truck from a friend that doesn't have a winch on it, so that will then be installed on that truck along with the level wind I collected as well.

Can't wait to follow you're project. please document with as many pictures as you can to help us that plan on trying a similar install.

Jesse

74M35A2

yeah that would be awesome I was thinking of something along those lines. But I would never attempt it.
Why not? Cost? These winches are not cheap, so I could understand that. Otherwise, it should drop right between the frame rails and be done. Near future will prove that correct or not.

I have hydraulic solenoid valve pricing at about $140 per directional control valve (Northern Tool, 26GPM & 4500psi), and then $190 for a 3 station manifold. I am switching my front winch over to solenoid, rear winch will be solenoid, as will the dump kit I hope to add in the future (twin cylinder, outside frame rail, like late model Volvo construction dumpers as to not impede on suspension travel of the axles with an aftermarket scissor type). So there are the 3 valves/stations. Change PTO engagement over to air (still need to check if compatible parts-wise) and then I can ditch the control tower in the cab completely, and the controls for each will be both inside and outside the cab.

tim410

Yeah mainly money right now. My next big project is a turbo. But i really like your idea of deleting control tower. That would be nice to get that leg room back for passengers.

Naterik

Man this sounds great this is what I'm planning to do with my 925a2 I already bobbed it and installed a scissor type hoist under the bed, but the truck has been and will continue to be on the back burner until I finish a couple other projects.

I'm planning to find a smaller hydraulic winch for the rear just to drag stuff onto trailers or lighter truck recovery. I'm planning to use air operated valves for the reliability factor over elelectric

I can't wait to see your setup this sounds awesome

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks