• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

931 air filter relocation. Possible? where would you move it?

colelkhunter

I am building an RV from a 931 and s-280 shelter and want to take advantage of all the space that i have available on the truck. Today I was contemplating space and it seems the air filter canister takes up an awful lot of it. I wonder would it be possible to relocate it and use the space for say a generator mounted on a slide out tray for ease of use. I realize that the junction box in front of it would also need to be moved, but this is mostly soft air line and would be easy to shorten and mount closer to the frame. This thinking also raised the question of size regarding the air filter. Certainly there is a smaller filter that will handle the same CFM rating as the larger drum. I sure could use that space more effectively. love to hear some thoughts and observations on this.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You might consider the way they are mounted on some of the big semi's.

On either side of the cab out front.

Screws up aerodynamics but since the 931 has the streamlining of a concrete block it's not an issue anyway.

colelkhunter

I was looking at that very thing this morning. Either in an upright position with the inlet up above the cab or maybe mounted on the rear fender somehow and get creative with the plumbing. i also considered a flange on the end of the inlet inside the hood. Then have it mate to another appropriate flange with a large box filter on the hood itself so that it would separate once the hood was lifted. just ideas that bounce around. The generator I have in mind would fit nicely under the drivers door and be located in a good position to plumb it to the diesel tank. All are pluses and would be easy to make happen if that **** canister was not there.

colelkhunter

Not being scared of a little extra work, I will continue with the plan to move it. Anything that you do to modify these trucks is a lot of work.

I am looking at semi truck air filters online now to see if anything is more suitable for what I want to accomplish. Looks like a few of them are right up my alley. i will post pics of what i come up with.

Bighurt

There is a lot of room under the hood. However there is more than just an air filter under the driver door.

You'll have to re-mount a bit of air system as well.

How about the other side?

Not trying to burst your bubble, where there is a will there is a way, but there are more ways than one to skin a cat.

colelkhunter

Take a look at all the used parts places for big trucks. I just googled 'used semi truck parts' and got back 87 trillion links. You can buy about anything off these trucks.

sample pic
That is pretty good idea there. That would certainly clean up the install and make plumbing simple. Thanks! we have a few of the semi-truck salvage places near me, i will go and check around with them.

Bighurt,
Battery relocation kit goes on the passenger side, so that is a no go.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you planning 1 or 2 axles? I have a 932a1 planning 1 axle with air ride that leaves alot more room for generator, extra fuel, and storage. Plus a ride that I hope will be better. By moving your battery to the toolbox you can make a nice walk through to camper.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen a picture of a US forest service truck where they took out the passenger tool box and mounted the generator in its place.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks