• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

931 camper. The Arrrggh-V

goldneagle

I did some measuring today for those interested in doing a camper conversion on a M931. The length of the frame from the cab to the end is 11'9". If you add the bumberetts like the M109 has it will extend the frame to 12'9". The M109 box on my Deuce is 12'4" long. It is 5" from the back of the cab. Total is 12'9".

So a M109 box will fit the M931 if you remove the spare tire carrier, and tool box. The muffler can be rerouted to the corner of the cab like shown in this tread.

Just wanted to get the info out there. I now return the thread to it's original poster. :driver:

colelkhunter

I believe I have decided to go a different way. I found a pretty good deal on a slide in camper that I am examining closely now. The plan would involve the same as before. Build a steel frame to support the slide in, then bolt the camper to the frame. I have been looking at this closely and I think by doing this I can build tool boxes along the sides where the slide in camper is cutout. I also plan to have it as close to the deck as possible, not elevate the sleeper portion over the cab as others have done. This should give me a nice storage area behind the cab for an a fuel tank and maybe a generator while still keeping the tire carrier and tool boxes. The tire lift that sticks up above the cab will need to be shortened to work. I did a trial run today of lifting the tire into the carrier from the mast and it worked well. It will be close quarters under there but I think it will work fine. Doing some searching now to get my design right before commiting, but I think this is the way to go. More to come.

colelkhunter

that really didn't scare me. i was looking forward to building it the way I wanted. I did however have some reservations about starting from scratch. The other factor was cost. to build what I wanted would have cost much more than I have to spend to achieve the level of comfort that the slide in already has. It would only be a marginal space gain to use a s-280 Vs. the Slide in I am looking at. Then there are the other associated issues to deal with and building it takes time. With the slide in I can get it installed, add a generator somewhere and be ready for camping or whatever. It is a project truck after all, but I would love to have it for this hunting season if at all possible.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
One of the ideas that I've contemplated for my M923 is to get a travel tralier just small enough for its body to fit in the M923's bed, then cut off the hitch and wheels and use it like a large slide-in. If there are larger slide-ins which would fill a 14' cargo bed well, then I'd be curious to learn about them.

flibob

I like the trailer idea. Much more room. Swing by an RV lot and check them both out. With a little ingenuity the frame of a trailer could stick way out the back.

Csm Davis

I think Nf6x is on to something here with the bumper pull trailer idea if you can find one that the frame is flush with or the lowest part you could bolt that down on your frame and not have to worry about how much is hanging over the rear .

colelkhunter

704.jpg703.jpg

Ok guys. I have been out of the loop for a while trapping peregrines and hunting my hawks. Got a little carried away and realized I had not put anything up onthe RV in a while. So here is where it starts. I decided to use a 14ft truck camper that was in grea shape. I bought it for a song. I began by removing the tractor kit from my truck and installing a carriage for the camper. The carriage was fabricated and then bolted to the frame of the truck with 3/4" grade 8 hardware. The weight on the camper is 1480lbs. It will be an afterthought for the 931.

Attachments

colelkhunter

Installed the 395's on combat wheels, got the camper installed and ready to go. For those that are wondering why it isn't over the cab.....it is overheight if I put it there. I made the needed adjutments and I like it where it is. Weight is centered quite nicely and it gives me room behind the ca for a external fuel tank,water tank and generator. It also lets me keep the spare tire carrier and tool box. Next step is to fill in the cutouts on the sides with fabricated tool boxes. When a little money comes in, that is the next step.

colelkhunter

So I am thinking over the Christmas holidays I will start painting this behemoth. I have to do some trimming in with paint to install some tool boxes under the cutouts on the Camper. It is a toss up for me to paint this truck in an urban snow camo or a Desert Winter MERDC. I really like both. The whole truck will be painted to match of course. Observations? I am also thinking about making the tool boxes from 3/4 ply instead of steel. I think that painted and primed wood would certainly last a long dang time. Cost would be much less as well.

Tornadogt

Truck looks great have you thought of adding some frame length to the back and keeping some kind of tow hitch.. With your rig you could still tow anything you wanted and the short truck I bet you could still tow 35 plus foot tag trailer. Once again looking great.

colelkhunter

Truck looks great have you thought of adding some frame length to the back and keeping some kind of tow hitch.. With your rig you could still tow anything you wanted and the short truck I bet you could still tow 35 plus foot tag trailer. Once again looking great.
It will tow anything with a tongue length at least as long as an M105 as is. I hooked it up to my 105 the other day and it was fine. It has plenty of room to swing. Only problem I saw was it was hard to see back there. Might have to make some extensions for the mirrors to get them out a little more. It is hidden behind the Camper. While I was looking at the combo yesterday, I got to thinking that I remove the box from the 105 and mount the camper to the trailer. When I initially started this I wanted a truck mount, but as I go along I think it might be better to have the camper on a trailer.That would let me put the 105 box on the back of the 931 with a little modification . Don't know yet. I am still thinking on it. It was reccommended earlier and think those guys may be right. Tying up a whole truck for a camper may not work out for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks