• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

931A2 questions from new owner

Sambor

I have only driven one 5 ton cargo for about 5 miles-- not enough to see what they run at. Can someone enlighten me on what to expect from the truck: provided of course I can get it to run the 184 miles home. I have already put together my road kit from the lists kindly posted by members here. What kind of speeds can I realistically expect to run? I don't mean wide open-- just a nice easy cruising. I remember from the cargo version it stops pretty well and didn't seem too loud for me. Being around aircraft all day I guess I am used to the noise even with Mickey Mouse's on. Anyway, just waiting for GL to let me know when I can go get it at Norman Ok. Guard base and it will be "off to the races" Thanks for all advice guys, John

Sambor

Thanks for the info-- I have the tractor as well. Where in the TM's can I find the specs for the type trans and PS fluids? Are the ether cans available at the normal large truck shops or are they mil spec only.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ear plugs are a minimum requirement, it gets loud. Drop the air press in the rear tires to 45-50 psi to take the bounce out of it (no load bob tail), at 70 psi it's bouncy. Test the brakes out, to get the feel before you head out on the highway. Have fun.

Sambor

I like the idea of dropping the TP, but with the CTIS, can you drop just a couple or can I just drop them all? I guess the ether cans are a standard thing-- I assume that you are not referring to the over the counter spray cans I use on my tractors in the winter?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the operators manual, their avialable on line. I believe you can select the CTIS to "off" and leave it off. Manually drop the pressures.

Sambor

you have to disconnect the processor. I did read the ops manual as well as the TM for the system. How about explaining the fluids used on the trucks-- I know about the engine oil. How about the trans and PS system. From the lube TM it appears that 10wt. oil is used. Thanks, John

Triple C

Take a minute to read the max speed rated on your tires (it's on your sidewalls) - I wish I had - or go find my thread on what happens if you don't. Be safe, have fun and welcome to the site!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you have to disconnect the processor. I did read the ops manual as well as the TM for the system. How about explaining the fluids used on the trucks-- I know about the engine oil. How about the trans and PS system. From the lube TM it appears that 10wt. oil is used. Thanks, John
There is a lube order in the TM section , or hit the search at the top it will bring several threads on the fluids.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ether cylinder looks like your standard tall propane bottle. You should not need it at all in this weather. These trucks are easy to start if the batteries are "hot".

Many ideas and threads on Transmission fluid. Basically if yellow it is 10w and available at Tractor supply or HD stores. If red, It is dexron transmission fluid. They can be mixed in my humble opinion. 10w is standard but many have been changed to dexron. Mine came with dexron already in it from Ft. Polk.

Power steering fluid is fine. OE is 10w but that is what power stg fluid is anyway except it has anti foam and anti wear additives in it.

jdknech

I have been clocked at 72mph with my truck on the interstate, but i wouldnt run it that fast long at all.. or you will have tire blowouts.. if you keep it at 50-55 you will see your MPG go up enough to notice it.. i can get 6-7mpg out of my 250 cummins at 50mph, 65-70mph, and i drop to around 3-4mpg..

you will see even better numbers with the 8.3 cummins..

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My M927 (with the 8.3 and super singles) will run at least 65 at wide open throttle but the sweet spot is 53-55 MPH. At that speed you are taching about 1700 RPM and will get decent fuel mileage on level ground. Being that you are in a bobtail tractor you can prob expect around 6 MPG or better if you loaf along around 55.

trukhead

My M931A2 is topless, the man that previewed it and drove to my house said it is in very, very good condition. His qualifications are that he is in the reserve motor pool now and spent 13 years in the reg mil motorpool so I think he knows the game. He does Ft McCoy recoveries and I highly recommend him.
I took my M931A2 out for a nice country road 30 MPH drive for and hour and then proceeded to a nice smooth super slab and got 70 MPH out of it. Careful application of the brakes and it slows right down right quick. I thought I was in a 67 Stingray for a bit there. Be careful bob tailing, but they sure sound nice and quiet and smooth, if the road is smooth, they are like cotton candy at the fair. If you don't have a top, make sure you don't have rocks stuck in the treads of the tires. That could hurt.

Sambor

Trukhead, you cracked me up about the rocks-- never would have thought of that until I had been beaned with one. Luckily, mine has a hardtop. I like the idea of a 50-55 mph drive. I ain't in no hurry. All my other trucks are 45-50 tops anyway. I am thinking my 46Dodge WFA will make about 50-55 and I will be happy. I am looking forward to the trip home with it-- hopefully with me in the drivers seat if it will run. I appreciate all the info I have received from everybody. Sure helped with the questions I had. John

chadande

CTIS highway is 60psi. Other CTIS pressures are in the pic below. If you try to air down too low for the speed you are traveling with the CTIS it will air up automatically after a few minutes. Don't mind the overspeed light, it comes on over 55 in highway mode.
If you need a custom tire pressure just disconnect the cable on the back of the CTIS box like the previous poster said.

My M923A2 is happiest at 55 - 60 but will go faster. I've had to watch it on long straights and down hills to keep from going to fast.
Keep in mind that your speedo is likely going to read slow. Use a GPS or speedo app on your phone to get an idea of how fast you are really going vs. what the guage says. With the 14.00R20 XZLs mine reads 4-5 mph slow.

CTIS pressures.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks