• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

932 Huntsville Indy recovery

flibob

Just picked up my 932 this morning many thanks to the GL crew and Wreckerman . Now the hitch. Going across post Redstone saw eng water temp was rising so stopped and added water to coolant reservoir, I continued up the road temp pegged but no other indication of problem. When I stopped at rest area 2 hrs up the road a small amount of steam came from the reservoir cap after stopping. I continued on to Nashville and my buddy's house. It is very hot outside 106F. Does anyone have suggestions?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not good. The high ambient temp does not cause the engine to run hot. Better verify the gauge is functioning properly and make repairs to it or the cooling system.

markmontana

You should isolate the problem before driving it. You could replace the thermostat to see if it is bad. I assume you have a long trip home? If so- you really need to stop and fix or get help and fix.

When I read this I cringed: "I continued up the road temp pegged but no other indication of problem. When I stopped at rest area 2 hrs up the road a small amount of steam came from the reservoir cap after stopping. I continued on to Nashville and my buddy's house."

No other indication of problem does not mean you are not causing excess wear on your motor.

These big trucks run a steady temp- even it it's over 100. As was pointed out- outside air temp is not the cause.

I hope you get if fixed- I have a feeling you will and wish you well. My post is just to point out the dangers (to your equipment) of driving an over heating motor.

flibob

Bad news. Pulled the hose at thermostat and there is oil in the water. I am going to truck it on up to Indy.
Is there anybody in the Nashville area that has room to store the truck while I get a trucker? The truck is in Mt Juliet right now but I can drive a short distance. Thanks

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I am assuming when you checked fluids upon arrival at Redstone there wasn't any oil in the coolant? It is NEVER a good idea to drive with a high temp indication without verifying that it is a bad gauge, even then I wouldn't do it unless I absolutely had to. A stop at an auto parts store and purchasing a cheap mechanical temp gauge would have probably prevented having a messed up engine.2cents

ranchhopper

I just fixed an 813 with the oil in the water your oil cooler is bad. Mine never went over 185 until I did the chicago memorial day parade ran a steady 200-210 found the oil in the water while trying to find a cause. I bought a new cooler the gaskets and retainer rings put it together and no more problems.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have the rings, but no oil cooler. There was a blue million of the coolers sold out of Creekside not too long ago, someones got them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Memphis equipment most likely has the parts you need and a shop to fix it.

flibob

Thanks all I have a place to store in Lebanon TN. I'll be on the phone in the morning getting the parts. Does anybody know which -20 covers oil cooler replacement? It looks like there are 4 -20's for the truck.
I have been busy with the maint but would say it drove very well.
The steering, ride, and noise were much better than I expected.
Even the heat in 109 degrees sure was better than bushoging with no umbrella.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks