• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

936A2 Gas Tank Problem

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was gifted seven hundred gallons of JP8, tried to fill up the wrecker and fuel cap drivers side will not budge! When I lean into it the filler neck starts to unscrew from the tank! Any known remedy for this without removing the filler neck, I know I will get crap in the tank during the removal! I have tried kroil oil and a hammer with no results!!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I was gifted seven hundred gallons of JP8, tried to fill up the wrecker and fuel cap drivers side will not budge! When I lean into it the filler neck starts to unscrew from the tank! Any known remedy for this without removing the filler neck, I know I will get crap in the tank during the removal! I have tried kroil oil and a hammer with no results!!!
That is just the basket you are unscrewing. It's stuck cause steel brass and aluminum do not mix. The baskets usually rust away anyway

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two large strap wrenches. On to stabilize the strainer ("basket") and the other to remove the cap.

This is most easily done off the truck. The strainer can be omitted afterwards if desired.

Removing the strainer as a unit with the cap should not pose any additional risk of contamination, but your eyes are on the truck and mine aren't.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say strainer you mean the mesh strainer inside the filler neck below the filler cap? When I try to unscrew the filler cap the entire filler neck tries to unscrew from the tank, I can see the paint break where the filler neck goes into the tank!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So just take out whatever You can get and free it up on the workbench.
Would JP8 be to "hot" for your engine without cutting it with the new useless pump diesel fuel We have now?

dmetalmiki

That is one weird filler cap.
first it sits atop a large round spacer, and then lo', In the next picture it sits FLUSH to the top of the fuel tank!!??

If that spacer is actually there, then tap 'vigorously' the fuel top with a small hammer to "Break" the seizure, Then one LARGE Gripper (Stilsons) to Hold that spacer
And Another LARGER gripper (Stilsons) To hold the cap.
Then, Work them in opposing directions.
It would be good though if you had helpers to hold and tap though.

Then again, if that "spacer"? has mysteriously disappeared again..!? It's Tap vigorously WHILE working just that Cap.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is one weird filler cap.
first it sits atop a large round spacer, and then lo', In the next picture it sits FLUSH to the top of the fuel tank!!??

If that spacer is actually there, then tap 'vigorously' the fuel top with a small hammer to "Break" the seizure, Then one LARGE Gripper (Stilsons) to Hold that spacer
And Another LARGER gripper (Stilsons) To hold the cap.
Then, Work them in opposing directions.
It would be good though if you had helpers to hold and tap though.

Then again, if that "spacer"? has mysteriously disappeared again..!? It's Tap vigorously WHILE working just that Cap.
That 'spacer' is the top of the strainer.

The threads are all normal right hand thread. A strap wrench or two is the solution.

The first time I encountered a stuck one, I was worried the strainer was left hand thread. It isn't. A crowbar and a military issue web belt got it to break loose.

I'd be interested in hearing back from the OP to see if he has resolved it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not yet, holidays have top priority, I plan on going down to the museum tomorrow to work on the M715 and run the wrecker to air up the tires(has to be done every two weeks- CTIS issues) I will try the strap wrench idea, tried the hammer already!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not yet, holidays have top priority, I plan on going down to the museum tomorrow to work on the M715 and run the wrecker to air up the tires(has to be done every two weeks- CTIS issues) I will try the strap wrench idea, tried the hammer already!
Yep, leaky stuff that inflation system.

I put tubes in all my 20-bolt 10" wheels, no leaks over lots of time.

My M54A1 goes just fine in the Sonoran desert sand here without letting any air out, too.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks