• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

939 oil cooler pressure test

jw4x4

Here is how we tested a 939 series NHC 250 oil cooler. Utilized two 4" schedule 40 plugs, one of which was outfitted with a threaded steel valve stem. To get the plugs to seal, we used a rubber gasket from a shower enclosure floor drain in one end and a seal (which had a handy skirt) from a fuel pump module on the other end. It was a bit tricky, but we managed to get it all sealed with a small ratchet strap (bar clamps would have been ideal). It held 15 psi and was submerged in water. The leak was instantly identified- in a solder joint. A new cooler and gaskets/seals/o-rings is on the way.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What led up to this ingenious test tool?

jw4x4

Necessity is the mother of invention. I just had to know if it was the culprit or not. I cannot take full credit for this set-up. Mike Evens (aka The Wizzard) searched his garage high and low to find something to get it sealed.

jw4x4

I should have mentioned that my 932 spewed choclate milk out of the coolant reservoir last week. That led to the removal of the oil cooler for investigation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice Jerry. I knew that you and Mike would devise a way to pressurize that unit and sink it. Sounds like you will be underway by weeks end.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good grief Jerry, I was going to ask you if you wanted to follow us over to recover my new (to me) 813 this weekend just in case we need a tow.

:)

jw4x4

Nice trick! Did it look practical to resolder the leaking joint?
It was leaking at a solder joint. I could repair it, (even block off the bad tube) but I just don't trust it. I got a new one for piece of mind. The new unit looks far more better built, especially the ends.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great. Did you get it fixed? You want to follow us over tomorrow for the recovery?

jw4x4

Great. Did you get it fixed? You want to follow us over tomorrow for the recovery?
I have all new parts. Gonna install them Sat. morning then start the flushing.

I am in the process of replacing my oilcooler also. TM says to aline index marks when reassembling. Where are the index marks?

Thanks
Look real close at the end of the cooler element. There is a small dot on one end. Line that dot up with the arrow/slash mark located on the element housing.

flibob

Thanks for the alignment info. Now to get rid of the oil. I flushed it twice with some dishwasher soap added and it looks better but a couple of times more won't hurt

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I met Larry @ the BMV and he asked me about that truck, I said I could have it sold with one phone call. Well, it was one text and a phone call.:p
Okay, so it took one of each, I still want to know if you want to go this morning to pick it up?

Not kidding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks