• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

939 retarder ???

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Does anybody know if the auto transmission contains a retarder but not hooked up, the reason I ask is that Cranetruck's 5t 8x8 had this in his trans. which he hooked up and it worked fine. A working retarder sure would help controlling down hill speed with out using the brakes. A jake brake has it's limits with a slip-a-matic. (if not in lockup, there will not be any effect)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks, I will get it moved.

Could a MOD please move this thread to 5t mods.

jatonka

Retarders were used in the MT series of Allisons in the 60's and 70's, I had an International, 1972 diesel 10 wheeler with an MT41 and a 3 speed auxillary box. It worked fair. They create a lot of heat in the torque convertor. I own a 915A1 with 400 Cummins and Allison HT 750 and a Jake brake, and that combo will haul you down in ahurry. I pull a 22,000 pound lowbed with up the 28 tons on it and it really holds back on the hills. JT

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ron,
Like JT says, the MT series (military TX200-6 in my case) has a built-in hydraulic retarder. The Army never had it linked up to a floor pedal, but the 1969 m656/xm757 vehicles have mounting holes for one. I have only verified that the retarder actuator on the transmission is present... never used it.
This transmission locks up in all gears and there is a fair amount of engine braking at all times, sufficient for an empty truck, IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks