• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

939A2 hit a bump and now wont go over 40mph

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not my truck. I haven't seen it in person and won't for a couple of days.

The guy said he hit a bump and shook everything up and now it acts like it's starving for fuel and won't go over 40.

My thought is throttle cable. I'm trying to get ahead of the curve with any other suggestions anyone may have for things to look at when I get there....

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Not my truck. I haven't seen it in person and won't for a couple of days.

The guy said he hit a bump and shook everything up and now it acts like it's starving for fuel and won't go over 40.

My thought is throttle cable. I'm trying to get ahead of the curve with any other suggestions anyone may have for things to look at when I get there....
First thing, pull the fuel supply tube from inside the tank.

Real bad about cracking and/or falling off and they’ll suck air

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Or, easier to perform, grab some clear vinyl hose and splice it into the fuel return coming off the banjo bolt on the front side of the pump and see if there is bubbles passing through.

If you can see bubbles bigger than a pin head you have an issue sucking air into your fuel before the lift pump on lower rear side of the block, pin head bubbles should appear no sooner than 2 seconds apart anything else is unacceptable

jasonjc

The guy said he hit a bump and shook everything up

That may be what happen , shook some crud loses and now it's blocking the fuel pickup or has clogged the fuel filter. Just a thought.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I'll have him change tanks and see if that resolves it. At worst that'll rule out some possible causes.
That’s a lot of extra work when it only takes 5 min to diagnose if that’s the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OR, more simpler things first, look at the fuel shut off, if it is broken, it wont have full fuel internally, also check that the throttle lever actually goes to full throttle stop, and, look at the AFC sensing line/fitting, the like to break at the fitting at the head and the steel bung in the pump liked to waller out of the aluminum housing. Just sayin' before you start taking things apart, look at things.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OR, more simpler things first, look at the fuel shut off, if it is broken, it wont have full fuel internally, also check that the throttle lever actually goes to full throttle stop, and, look at the AFC sensing line/fitting, the like to break at the fitting at the head and the steel bung in the pump liked to waller out of the aluminum housing. Just sayin' before you start taking things apart, look at things.
Description didn't do it justice. Here's a more accurate description -

Sounds fine at idle. Won't go over 20mph. Falls on its face and dies. Full throttle wasn't reaching the throttle stop. It was only going to 2000rpm in neutral at WOT.

Adjustments made. It now reaches 2300rpm in neutral at WOT. With the lever against the throttle stop. Still falls on its face and dies. Will restart after sitting a moment. The throttle limiting screw with the wire appears to NOT have been tampered with. Wire is intact and no tool marks on the screw.

It's a wrecker. The tank selector has been bypassed. Its feeding from the driver side tank only. Made sure the supply line to the lift pump actually goes to the supply fitting on the tank and that supply/return were not transposed.

I replaced the small fuel filter on the block. It does not have the larger filter on the firewall. No improvement.

We blew compressed air down the fuel return line starting at the front of the IP towards the fuel tank. Unobstructed.

We blew compressed air from the tank selector bypass line to the fuel filter fitting. Unobstructed.

We stuck the end of the tank bypass tube into a jug of diesel. No improvement.

We removed the fuel pressure sensor, related fittings, and inspected for cracks. None found. Reassembled and sealed. No improvement.

We disconnected the fuel line at the inlet to the fuel filter, pulled the kill, and cranked for 30sec. 195ml of fuel was moved by the lift pump. Standard is 150ml or better.

We tightened the fittings between the lift pump and the fuel tank. No improvement.

Starts fine. Sounds good at idle. Good oil pressure. Oil looks good with no diesel smell. No play in the turbo shaft. Air filter looks good

If I'm throwing parts at it I'm going to start with the lift pump.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you’ve already tied the fuel shut off solenoid back to eliminate it, the lift pump would be my next guess, but I would put a gauge on it to make sure it’s making pressure as well as flow before throwing parts at it. If your pressure reads low, you should be able to crimp off the return line. If the pressure goes up to, or above normal, it should be a bad overflow valve. If it stays the same it’s likely a bad lift pump.

snowtrac nome

Take a look at the fuel return banjo bolt, there is a little screen and check ball in them. If something has plugged or restricted it there, you wont fill the pump, and the engine will act as if its starving for fuel.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today we drove 100miles each way and bought a lift pump from Cummins in El Paso.

All issues resolved with a new lift pump. Truck is now running like it should. I'll drive it to KS using just the driver side fuel tank and then restore the selector valve and passenger side tank once I'm there.

20190919_181452.jpg

20190919_181527.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it about 100miles and blew a tire. Good thing I brought a spare with me from KS.

20190920_120335.jpg

Drove it the rest of the way to Socorro NM uneventfully. Parked it there while running some errands with the redtruck.

20190920_162244.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks