• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

95% Legal Deuce in SOCAL

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original plan was to ship the paperwork off to Rat4Spd and let him spend 10 minutes at the courthouse in Iowa tagging my deuce. I even thought I would get the license upgrade in the bible belt since I still pay my income taxes back there.

With retirement headed my way in two years and no plans to return to the land of much snow, I decided to suck it up and deal with CA DMV. How bad could it be? Well............................

Actually, not too bad (if you grade on a curve). I was a little worried because the price paid on the SF97 doesn't match any number I know of (too high), but still I soldiered on. Went to a ghetto DMV in San Diego on government time in my Navy uniform even. It was a Wednesday so they didn't open until 0900. I rolled in about 0745. 24 years in the Navy has taught me how to stand in line real well. I was about 25 people back at that early hour, but soon I figured out why - everyone ASSuMEd it opened at 0800. At 0803 when everyone was checking their watches, wondering out loud WTF the delay was - I got to announce to the crowd that it was WED and they open at 0900. After looks of disbelief, several folks fired up Google on their cell phones while those in the very front actually looked at the door. After I was proven correct, I found my self 4 spots closer.

Ten minutes to 0900 a cranky DMV lady pushing a cart filled with forms comes by. I showed her the SF-97 and she remarked that she had not seen one of those in awhile. At least they have seen them I thought.

Paperwork filled out I found myself STILL having to wait since they were only running about 15 windows. After 10 minutes I was at the counter. Handed everything over, told her I wanted to go historical, tried to make small talk. 30 seconds in I knew this was the most clueless DMV employee I've delt with - EVER. She checked the paperwork, played with her computer, checked the paperwork. Screwed with the computer until it froze for 10 or 15 seconds, really freaking her out. Finally she called in a supervisor.

He scans the paperwork and asks what I am trying to do. "Take Boy Scouts in parades" I replied. He helped her find some screens and we were moving along. For about 3 minutes. Another visit to the supervisor. A little more progress. Couple more visits, a couple more screens clicked off. Came time for the fees and they - no chit - wanted to charge me a late penalty - becuase I paid for the truck in March and was just now getting off my fat arse to register it. Well, actually as per the canceled postage on the priority envelope GL used, I had gotten the paperwork only the day before. That didn't matter. Rules are rules.

Ok - no problem - give me an out of state military form to fill out please. There is a glitch that doesn't allow them to charge late fees when using the form for some reason. It's saved me a few times over the past couple decades and I was ready to muck the system up again if needed. Soon another supervisor is on scene and waives the late fees. BUT - they want a VIN verification. Did I have the truck with me? Um, no, I didn't happen to drive it 80 miles to work today. I would need it registered to get it on base anyways, so driving it down here to see you on work time wasn't worth it. No problem - they give me a red temp for my 94 bucks. Gave me 60 days to get er done. Total time at the counter - 98 minutes. Add in 75 minutes waiting for the place to open and 2 20 minutes drives from work and back and you almost have a fraud waste and abuse case.

Yesterday I had a small window of time before my son's appointment. I left in the truck and headed to my local DMV. Rain and hail hit off and on. When I got to the DMV I couldn't help but take up both lanes (inspection and drivers testing). I saw them vin check a pickup in front of me. Looked like they were searching for drugs or maybe Jimmmy Hoffa. Started worrying again. The rain started again so when my turn came I pulled far enough forward that the hood was sticking out past the awning getting plenty wet. I didn't want to open the hood for these wet rats.

The DMV lady asked if I knew where the vin was. Didn't even smile when I joked - "Don't you"? So I quickly showed her the vin on the frame and offered up nothing else. She asked the make and model even though it was on the paperwork I handed her. Asked for the milage - 3612 I told her. "Probably rolled over " she said. "I doubt it" I replied. Um, seems that was the WRONG answer. Well then - we need to find the emissions sticker. She tells me ANYTHING entering CA for the 1st time with under 7500 miles needs a sticker. That was new to me. "It's exempt" I tell her. She wants to know why. I explain that the US Army didn't give a chit about CA back in 1966. Probably still doesn't. I KNOW it's exempt I tell her. I have been reading up on the web and NO ONE has posted about this. :)

She goes inside for 15 minutes. Comes back after the rain has stopped. She looks toweled off when she gets back too. Seems the year and make cause the truck to be exempt. Wow - shocker. She tells me to park down the street and take my paperwork inside to finish. Duh, like there are six empty spaces in the undersized lot next to each other anyway.

Inside I quickly make my way to a brand new trainee. I tell her if she can handle this, she will be done with training. Luckily her over the shoulder instructor was top notch. Knew everything, but had to let her fumble through. Only time he messes up is when he tries to get me to register it normally vice historical. "You'll hardly be able to use it. What a waste", he says. So I tell him to run the numbers. He is sure it won't cost hardly anything since it's a 66. Then he sees the three axles and the 13,500 weight. Decides historical is the right way to go.

They check the fees and see I paid 100 bucks to AZ for taxes. Since CA would have wanted 108 bucks, I gotta cough up another 8. Since she's training, I fill out the out of state military form this time. Saves 2 bucks and I swipe my ATM for 6 more dollars. I get another temp for 90 days since everything has to go up north to Sac. When it's 99.9% complete, super supervisor notices that the 1st DMV totalled up the priced I paid - cost + 10% buyers premium + 100 bux tax. Opps - I paid too much tax. I should have paid tax on the purchase price only, which means CA would have wanted LESS than AZ and I would have owed no more money. Too bad I used my ATM - seems they don't know how to reverse it. I can fill out a form and.....................

So I'm almost there. Registration and plates should be here in 60-90 days and I'll toss them in the glove box and feel 100% legal.

I got out of there just in time to meet my wife and son at his appointment. I guess that doctor's office doesn't get too many deuces in the lot. :)

Last edited:

armytruck63

Great story. I always head to the DMV office in the smallest town I can find within reasonable driving distance. The employees seem less hassled that their big city co-workers. I had to register my M416 trailer (brought to the DMV behind a M1009). The guy that came out to verify the numbers said "cool off-road trailer."

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
good job!!! When I registered mine, I was able to do vin verification at AAA. Just dont tell them the weight before you do that part. lol
The local sheriff's substation offered to do the vin verification, but I still would have to go back to the DMV to finish up. I decided to try and knock it out all at once and got it done.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great, DMV looks like they did things right! I have got in the habbit of using a registration service. They do it all, registration, transfers, VIN verifications...all at one spot.

hole

Great, DMV looks like they did things right! I have got in the habbit of using a registration service. They do it all, registration, transfers, VIN verifications...all at one spot.
All for $50 too ! I lose alot more than that to pull off a job to go to DMV

BLK HMMWV

Aaa

After listening to all the stories I feel like I won the Lottery.

I think I was in the AAA office for about 20 minutes tops.

The Previous owner and I walked in filled out the paper work and that was it.
Of course it was just transfering ownership. I'd hate to hear what he went through to originally get it registered in Calif.

GW

AAA said they wont touch anything over 1 1/4 tons, unfortunatly our Deuce's slightly exceed that:cry:

Thats why I said dont tell them the weight until after the vin verification. :twisted:

You can take their VV paperwork to the DMV and they will honor it. That is what I did because they did not realize the weight until the very end of the process. All the paper work was done but not entered at AAA and the DMV just finished it off.

Some AAA's may not be so accomodating though.

armytruck63

California has its problems, but when people knock it I ask them, "How many acres of legal off-roading parks has your state set up and funded?"

Been here 39 years and I love it.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I went to the DMV about three weeks ago and submitted my historical vehicle paperwork for my M109. Lucky its a Jeep-Kaiser so the cleck though it was a normal military jeep. SHe charged me $240 and said it will take at least 3 for my plates. The $24 0seemed a litte high but its worth the plates so I kept my mut shut. What a pain!

hole

California has its problems, but when people knock it I ask them, "How many acres of legal off-roading parks has your state set up and funded?"

Been here 39 years and I love it.
Dont get me wrong, it's a beautiful state with much to offer, but we lead the the nation in wack-jobs with self serving Statist agenda's who are more than willing to take away our freedoms ( that we will NEVER get back ) for their ideas on saving everything / everybody. Sometimes the weak sheep just need to die.......

unimoger

Will is that DMV service "TONY'S DMV SERVICE" in Irwindale? I used them after my nightmare with dmv. They are fast & real smooth. WELL WORTH the fee they charge. You should post their address and phone Nr. I don't have it off hand.:-D

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, and I thought having to go back the next day was rough...

When I got my deuce, it had an AZ title instead of an SF97. After I got my insurance, I took the title document down to the AZ MVD along with several documents about how hobbyists are not subject to the FMCSR, not commercial, etc, along with a AZ MVD internal memo about historic plates. (More on this later)

Everything went pretty well. I waited about 15 minutes until they called my number, which is the longest I've ever waited at the MVD. The lady at the counter looked a bit puzzled on a few things and had to have her supervisor tell her how to work the computer, but he seemed to know exactly how to do it. One of the other supervisors asked me if it was a deuce-and-a-half, to which I replied yes. He seemed to enjoy saying "deuce-and-a-half" because he said it about 30 times telling everyone within earshot what I had. The weight of the vehicle was a fairly big sticking point for the counter lady, and Mr. Deuce-and-a-half kept telling her to enter 2.5 tons as the weight. "Don't you know what deuce-and-a-half means, Ann?"

She asked me if I had the truck with me and if they could look at it to determine what kind of plate to give it. I replied that how could I drive an un-registered vehicle without a license plate? She said that didn't stop most people...

The AZ DOT in my county requires emissions testing for anything newer than 1967. However, if you have collector car insurance (Limited use, have a different daily driver) you can be exempt from emissions testing. My truck is a 1972, but I have collector car insurance, so I am emissions exempt. Counter lady did know this, and that was not a problem.

The other thing you can do is get historic vehicle plates and the GVW is entered as all zeros. This is great, as the alternative is commercial plates - Because of the number of axles and weight, I believe.

The hangup was that the insurance company messed up and put the model number instead of the VIN in the VIN area of the insurance card so I had to get them to fax a corrected insurance card to the MVD the next day because the insurance company was already closed for the day.

Much to my surprise, when I went back the next day, the supervisor had prepared insructions for whoever helped me. Everything went fast and smooth and I walked away with 2 cool looking license plates, a new title document, and $40 less in my wallet. All in all not too bad. In my case, it did help having support documents available and I'm glad I took them with me.