• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

950cca primary battery

Sergeant1983

I had two 525cca bateries and starting issues on and off Since buying my M1009. Then I switched recently the primary to a 950cca and have not had a problem since. Will see how it goes this winter. Starts like nobodys bz right now.
image.jpg

tim292stro

Interestingly the CUCV is definitely a case where you can get away with installing one of Maxwell's Ultracapacitor starter packs - either on the stock 24V or modified 12V trucks (still use 24V starter...). Both 900 and 1100CCA models are available.

Attachments

tim292stro

Not quite - but close. It still needs the 24V if you want 24V, but it only needs 20A(max) to charge in 15 minutes (longer if lower current, but you can also top it off with small solar cells continuously :) ), so a small boost voltage regulator can step up from 12V-to-24V when the ignition is on. That said, once you have it charged it is equivalent to having a group-31-sized 1100CCA 24V battery - two group 31's will fit fairly well in one of the 6TL battery trays.

It's ultra-capacitors in a box with an active cell balancer. Capacitors will dump their charge an order of magnitude or two faster than a battery, and most of the current is used just getting the block spinning (the first second or so), so ultracapacitor packs actually make engines easier to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnN-GNyO9vg

reaper556

Interestingly the CUCV is definitely a case where you can get away with installing one of Maxwell's Ultracapacitor starter packs - either on the stock 24V or modified 12V trucks (still use 24V starter...). Both 900 and 1100CCA models are available.
Interesting. I'm curious on the price of these.2 900cca should do nicely

tim292stro

Yeah, the Maxwells aren't cheap - but they function all the way down to -40C, can be totally discharged and then recharged and work with essentially full capacity, can be trickle charged all day long (constant voltage) without boiling over. If you have the NATO plug and the starter on the Maxwell - you can prevent a jumped vehicle from killing your truck, and they'll get a quick pop that is more likely to turn over their engine.

For the $305 price range, get Sears Platinum 31M - this is a repackaged Odyssey PC2150ST-M Group 31 for $100 less - same capacity and CCA as a 6TL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks