• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

960.3 miles in a M925A2 Ft. Rucker - OKC, OK

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have been wanting one of these for quite a while.
Watched GL and this site for months.
Wanted a "turn key" that required nothing but fuel

Well I found it in December with the win of a 1991 BMY M925A2 (GL listing said unknown year of mfg)
Total rebuild in Oct 2011 Had only 400 miles on it since then.
New Soft top/Cargo Cover/Paint/Tires/Spare/etc. New Hawker batteries.
Even had a full tank of fuel.
CTIS works perfect!!

Due to the holidays, Doc with GL allowed a much later pickup.
Wife and I Finally picked it up the 8th.
Stopped by on the 7th and checked fluids and such. Started it up and ran it for 30 minutes. No issues.

Doc was great and the pickup couldn't have been easier.

It was cold again that morning (15 F) and the truck still started right up with no ether. (bottle had been removed)

Did checks again and headed out.
Insurance Card in hand
19+ hours later arrived in OKC

Total drive 960.3 miles.
MPG ??? Didn't care

Only fatality, besides my backside, was a turn signal bulb.

The drive couldn't have been better. Everything worked perfect.
Even thumbs up from some of the Mississippi National Guard trucks that drove alongside me.
Wife was keeping traffic off my backside with our chase truck the entire trip.

Upon arrival in OKC I checked fluids for the final time of that trip.
Truck did not use any engine oil, trans, PS, gear. Only took a half gallon of antifreeze.
No leaks from anything. At all!!

I must say I was really prepared with all sorts of parts, fluids, filters, tools, cash etc. due to me reading some of the events of other SS members on their drive.
Didn't need a thing, but fuel and food.

These are amazing trucks and I don't know if I was lucky or this was a normal experience.

A BIG thanks goes to SS member Keith (Cant remember SS user name), who lives down in Dothan and does some contract work at Rucker.
I emailed him and asked him to go by and make sure tires were up (they were, never got low) and such.
He did stop by for me and checked everything out. Started it up and everything.
Was a big help with my questions.
THANK YOU Keith!!

I did PM and email other SS members from Oklahoma. Only one replied and had more questions of my trip and truck than helpful suggestions. The rest did not respond

Yes I know the next outing something can happen and break
But this trip was perfect and will be remembered for a lifetime.

I think this will be my only MV as it came with everything I wanted.

Edit:
The only thing I changed right after we got back were the headlights.
Stock ones were lousy.
Installed a brand new set of Truck-lite LED's. HUGE difference.
They arrived the day after we left to get truck.

To the typing format police, forgive the layout of this. It's the way I type.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the truck and successful trip. Sometimes it works out perfect. I miss the long deuce roadtrips but my shoulder doesn't.

As far as the typing format police, we don't have anyone. Just us mods trying to keep the site above a 3rd grade level. Your format is wonderful. Easily read, punctuated and even capitalization. I give it an A+

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and congratulation on the recovery.

I'm in OKC also. Sorry we didn't conect before your trip. We have a core group of guys here in OKC that try to help all the newbies.

Last edited:

M1075

I did PM and email other SS members from Oklahoma. Only one replied and had more questions of my trip and truck than helpful suggestions. The rest did not respond
I'm glad you got home safely and I'm glad you got a good truck. I don't remember ever getting a PM or email from you. Which OK members did you contact?

I think this is your 3rd post here. Before you alienate a state full of helpful members, I would caution you about calling out Oklahoma members as non-responsive.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great trip report! Need pics and curious about the mpg! That was a long drive by you AND your wife.

kdaniels

Glad you made it without any issues. I didn't have any major worries for you with the excellent condition your truck was in. Plus the g'ment fuel just about got you out of the state.

This forum has helped me a great deal with my projects over the years and I didn't mind spending some time checking out your truck for the road trip. I felt it was a duty to repay the effort others on this forum have shown me. WreckerMan as helped me with two recoveries in Huntsville, either with a slave start or intell. You never know, I may purchase a truck up your way one day.

Don't forget to post some pics of that REALLY NICE M925A2 you have. And while ya'll may think 15 degrees isn't much as far as the cold goes ...it's hard on us folks down south...we're a tropical people :)

SEMPER FI !!

keith

mcmullag

In July I picked up a M923a2 rebuilt in 2008, drove home 860 miles with the help of bulldogmack13.
Everything in the engine area looked new, cab interior looked new.
In Nov. bulldogmack13 and I won and picked up 2 M923a2's rebuilt in 2009, from Ft. Carson here and drove them home 20 miles, well bulldogmack13 towed his home with his M925a2.
These rebuilt trucks are great.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad you got home safely and I'm glad you got a good truck. I don't remember ever getting a PM or email from you. Which OK members did you contact?

I think this is your 3rd post here. Before you alienate a state full of helpful members, I would caution you about calling out Oklahoma members as non-responsive.
I'm not posting who I reached out to.
I was just stating a fact, not trying to start a flame.
Not bitter at all, just relaying what my process was in the planning phase of the drive back.

Can't wait to see the others!!

Last edited:

Carlo

I must say half the fun of every new truck is preparing to puck it up and driving it home. Every truck is different and I compare them as I'm driving home. Sounds like a well kept truck. Good luck.

wyorunner

Tinstar, as everybody has already noted, welcome to a new addiction. It grows even if we tell ourselves "no I just want one." While yes I just want one, it may be right after another, kind of like beer except more expensive. Congrats on the smooth trip home, and while you do not care about mileage, nor do I if I did I would not have bought the truck. I am planning a trip as I type this to our next home in AZ, and from my house to where its going is just short of 1900 miles. I bring this up because I am trying to figure out how many times I will have to stop for fuel, so with that how many gallons of fuel do you think you purchased, because I will simply need to double that. Also, what was your cruising speed, did the truck do ok at that speed?

Thanks for the information, and very nice truck.

Turner

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks