• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

960.3 miles in a M925A2 Ft. Rucker - OKC, OK

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you are right on not just having one as I bought another M923A2 yesterday.
The drive home with this one is only about 230 miles.

I was just going to flip this one but now the wife is hinting that she wants it for herself.
Anyway.......

I never let the tank get below a half tank.
I think I might have used almost two tanks total, maybe a bit more.
I didn't keep close track
At least the fuel prices were decent everywhere we stopped
The truck was happy in the 50-55 range.
I would bump 60+ on some downhills but that wasn't often.
I didn't like going that fast in it.
The tires will let you know where they want to be speed wise.

We stopped often and always checked everything very close.

If you plan on driving at night, be very familiar with the controls and locations.
Cab is very dark and no map light.
Have a not too bright flashlight (so you don't blind yourself) ready.
I needed one

tstates

Congrats. I will chime in on fuel mileage. I did 1043 miles from Sparta WI. to Charlotte NC. last week in all the rain and cold. I used 153 gallons, lots of traffic, tolls and hills. I tried to hold 55-60 once I got comfortable with her. Took about 23 hrs. My only problem was the stiff throttle spring and my sore leg. Got to where I would rest one foot on top of the other to hold that sucker down. You are so right about speed, they seem to have a sweet spot, once you find it, its nice to just cruise. Even though everyone will be flying by. Just love this site, and all the knowledge.

wyorunner

Well you are right on not just having one as I bought another M923A2 yesterday.
The drive home with this one is only about 230 miles.

I was just going to flip this one but now the wife is hinting that she wants it for herself.
Anyway.......

I never let the tank get below a half tank.
I think I might have used almost two tanks total, maybe a bit more.
I didn't keep close track
At least the fuel prices were decent everywhere we stopped
The truck was happy in the 50-55 range.
I would bump 60+ on some downhills but that wasn't often.
I didn't like going that fast in it.
The tires will let you know where they want to be speed wise.

We stopped often and always checked everything very close.

If you plan on driving at night, be very familiar with the controls and locations.
Cab is very dark and no map light.
Have a not too bright flashlight (so you don't blind yourself) ready.
I needed one
Thanks for this information. So you fueld up four times then, with never letting the tank get below half? Even rough this is great so thank you for this. I am hoping that we will be able to hold the 50-55 for the trip. I don't know if I would like going 60+ in these trucks. I am thankfully familiar with the controls, as they are similar to all other military vehicles. As well as I think I will be putting in a dome light of sorts. Thanks for this info.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We stopped a lot but didn't fuel every time
Main thing was finding a place that could Handle the size of the truck (other than truck stops).
When there was a break in traffic and you could really enjoy the drive it was great.

I know some guys cruise these things at 60-65
That's way too fast for me.
The 60+ I was talking about was downhill only and only did it maybe three times.
Tire sidewall says 55 max

It liked the speed I mentioned before and everything will be passing you. I didn't care

The dark cab I will be addressing next week.
Didn't like that one bit
My military time was spent in Army helicopters (Aviator) so I'm going to borrow a spare map light. Plenty of room on dash panel to mount one and it's already 24v

Enjoy the trip

Ours was truly an experience of a lifetime

capnkirk

Did you have temporary tags for your truck or just go with it? I'm heading out for mine this week and want to try to avoid any hassles on the way back.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Amateurs. 2232 one way in a deuce mit anhanger. 1520 multiple times for Aberdeen (round trip distance). 1502 one way when moving to TX---in the summer heat.

It may seem like a long way but these trucks can take it....just make sure the PMCS is done and you upgrade your seat.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have temporary tags for your truck or just go with it? I'm heading out for mine this week and want to try to avoid any hassles on the way back.
We did go by the DMV office in Enterprise and got the eyerolls bigtime. They couldn't understand why it didn't have a regular VIN and didn't understand what a serial number was.
Received the big NO all the way around.

Just hit the road without it. DID have insurance card in hand.

Saw tons of law enforcement and didn't get a second look.

Even refueled next to three of them and no issues.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amateurs. 2232 one way in a deuce mit anhanger. 1520 multiple times for Aberdeen (round trip distance). 1502 one way when moving to TX---in the summer heat.

It may seem like a long way but these trucks can take it....just make sure the PMCS is done and you upgrade your seat.
That's a fact on the seat!!

aspann

Tinstar, I registered my M923, two M35's, two M1008's, M1009, jeep and others in Enterprise without any problem. You probably got a clerk that didn't know what was going on.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tinstar, I registered my M923, two M35's, two M1008's, M1009, jeep and others in Enterprise without any problem. You probably got a clerk that didn't know what was going on.
The girl walked around and talked to two other women who gave the dreaded shake the head no.

Glad it worked for you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks