• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'97 M1078 air/hydraulic unit

Littlejacy

Hey all! Recently, I spent a Saturday rebuilding the air/hydraulic unit with a complete (the big one) kit from MRO Supply. While I know I didn't exactly need to change every part in the unit, I ended up changing I'd say...97% because it just felt good to do it.
The issue I originally had was that my spare tire boom stayed stuck in extended position (I'm working on that still, and have the solution through trouble shooting and help from folks here!) and my solution was to simply remove the strut and tie it up safely (so I could move the vehicle) and also chain the boom securely upright as well. While I was at it, I had noticed that my A/H unit was puffing out a rather large amount of fluid from the brass exhaust port, a mess! I was growing tired of that business real quick, lol. I researched here in the various forums and discovered MRO Supply and got the kit, printed out the TM procedure and went to work.
Well: It is still puffing out fluid. Now, initially to my dismay and occasional dumbassedness, I overfilled the fluid. Hey! No big deal, I pumped out the excess with my vacuum pump. Still puffing out fluid. Now, unless I didn't extract enough (entirely possible as i think I really overfilled it...), what gives? It is a LOT of fluid. The unit, by the way does indeed work quiter and well for the cab lift (cannot check the tire unit yet, as I haven't replaced the cylinder)....but it puffs out that fluid. Any suggestions outside of pumping out more fluid and rechecking? I gotta do the ol' wait for the weekend again before I can lay hands on her.
Is it possible at all that due to the spare tire cylinder being "stuck" in the extended position that would cause my fluid levels in the unit to be skewed somehow?

Asymair95

I rebuilt my pump last night with the same kit from mro. Installed it today and everything works fine. Did you follow the tm rebuild procedures? I replaced about 90% of the parts I was able to also. One thing I noticed in the tm is it doesn’t tell you to install the spring under the stubby tube that travels from the lower pump, through the mounting plate, and into the top manifold assembly. Not sure if you noticed that.

As far as the ram goes, have you checked your hyd manifold filters and flow restriction valves? There are two styles of manifold, not sure which one you have.

Attachments

Littlejacy

I rebuilt my pump last night with the same kit from mro. Installed it today and everything works fine. Did you follow the tm rebuild procedures? I replaced about 90% of the parts I was able to also. One thing I noticed in the tm is it doesn’t tell you to install the spring under the stubby tube that travels from the lower pump, through the mounting plate, and into the top manifold assembly. Not sure if you noticed that.

As far as the ram goes, have you checked your hyd manifold filters and flow restriction valves? There are two styles of manifold, not sure which one you have.
Now that is interesting information! I happen to have an extra spring in the box o' parts in fact, yet don't recall any spring coming out of or with the pipe on removal, however. I presume you mean the short pipe that runs from the box which the lines run into??

Asymair95

Yes, the u cup may also be installed incorrectly. The tm does a good job of explaining that part though. Could also be one of the ball bearings out of place. There are two of them.

Littlejacy

36 is the spring I’m referring to. The ball bearings are number 32 there are two of them.

In the rebuild section there is no mention of spring 36, unless I glossed over it somewhere.
Well now, I see the very spring you mention here. Honestly, my friend, I cannot say with a degree of certainty that I recall putting that spring in there. However, I'll also say that I do NOT recall taking one out of there when removing that particular item either.....hmmmm. Well. I'll be checking both THAT issue and the U-Cup in question, lol!

Asymair95

Check both ball bearings also. When reassembling the unit, you have to follow the tm, or one of the check balls will get stuck behind the u cup holder assembly if assembled out of order.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks