• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'97 M1097a2 4L80e is bad. Need advice - DIY rebuild or junkyard swap?

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ended up taking the overwhelming advice and dropped the trans off at a shop to be rebuilt. I'll know what we're looking at within a week.

Interestingly enough, I found out this '97 M1097A2 has the MP2225 transfer case. One of the coolant (antifeeze) lines going into it is snapped off, and I've found more loose/missing bolts that indicate this truck was slapped back together with a bunch of random parts before hitting the auction. Sure hope this transfer case is still good!
You may also find that you have a 4l85 not a 4l80. Some were bought for rebuilds at Texarkana. I've never been able to figure out which ones though. The most telling item will be a 5 gear planetary. Please keep us informed on what you find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks