• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

98 LMTV registration in TX????

gjswt19

I recently purchased my first military vehicle, a M1079. I got it hauled to a buddy's property and got mostly everything going on it. Now is the problem, I have looked and looked but cant find much on registering an FMTV under 25 years old in Texas. I just went down to the Tax office to discuss registration and they contacted the main office in Austin who told them they are for off-road use only and can't be registered. I understand the HUMVEE is for off-road use only but the FMTV's are registerable just depends on FMV, RV, or commercial. Has anyone had a FMTV under 25 years registered in Texas as either an RV or commercial? Is there any transportation code that I can site to use to convince the office to register it. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thank You

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to find a different tax office or a different gopher in Austin. Easiest way is to register it as a FMV but you're restricted on when you can drive it. Otherwise you simply get it weighed and register it as a 17k pound truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mkcoen is absolutely correct, with your Gov Planet paperwork you should have no problem registering the truck any way you want. I registered mine Texas Truck plates so I would not have to worry about the FMV restrictions of "parade use" etc. It has happened in other states as well, the tax office girls have been told not to register HMMWVs and when someone says FMTV they think they are the same thing since they end in "V".

coachgeo

what are you planning to use it for? If as a camper; since it is a 1079 and they have a Command box, would he not be wiser to register it as a Motorhome?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what are you planning to use it for? If as a camper; since it is a 1079 and they have a Command box, would he not be wiser to register it as a Motorhome?
You have to have more than just an enclosure to qualify as a motorhome. If he wants to add a bathroom and permanent cooking fixtures then that might be the way to go.

gjswt19

Thanks for the reassurance, I'll have to go either find another office or change their minds. Any recommendations on insurance companies in Texas for the truck, since it will probably be commercial or RV?

Craig Tobias

I just went through **** in Travis county (Austin). The tax office sent me to the Dept of Motor vehicles saying I had to get a bonded title. When I presented my paperwork to the Department of Motor Vehicles I could see the smoke coming out of their ears, their minds were blown. They were completely confused. They refused to give me the paperwork needed to get a bonded title. They said only the supervisor knows how to do that. I asked them if they have ever read transportation code 501-504. They just looked at me. So their entire job is based around these codes and nobody in this office has read them. Anyway I went back 8 more times and every time the "Supervisor" wasn't in. Finally I got someone to call the main office and they came back with an answer that says because it doesn't have a 17 digit VIN I can only title it but not register it, because it doesn't meet the FVSS. Well I showed them that 30 fire departments were using these as Brush Trucks in the state of Texas and explained that there is no federal exemption for fire departments and either they give me the title and registration or they need to pull the registration for these fire departments. Then I told them before you come back and say "Well these are exempt plates" That doesn't matter. I'm a fire fighter and a fire truck has to meet the federal safety standard ohh and these trucks were handed out by the Texas Forestry Service (another state agency). So either the Forestry Service is handing out illegal vehicles or these are legal vehicle and if they are then my truck should be registered. So, they finally relented and gave me my title. From there I went back to the Tax office where I presented my case and had the application printed and filled out for the registration of a military vehicle (which they have never seen before) and I had my bonded title. So they call the department of Motor Vehicles who then told them I couldn't register this vehicle. However, I showed the Tax office the code 504.502. They said they will register it but that their software wouldn't allow them put the stencil numbers as the license plate because the numbers on the vehicle had 9 numbers and the electronic form only allowed for 7 numbers. So, they brought me into an office and called some supervisor at the Department of Motor Vehicles and he asked: Asked does he have insurance "Yes" does he have a bill of sale "Yes" does he have is Title "Yes" Does he have an VFT-135 (appraisal) "Yes", Does he have and inspection "Yes". Okay, "Then register his vehicle". Then the people at the tax office said but the number on the truck won't fit in the screen. He said "then issue him a Military Vehicle Plate." At this point I wasn't about to argue. It is registered as an FMV and I have to attach a plate. I'll go back in a year and rub off a couple of the stenciled letters and get the plate requirement removed.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through **** in Travis county (Austin). The tax office sent me to the Dept of Motor vehicles saying I had to get a bonded title. When I presented my paperwork to the Department of Motor Vehicles I could see the smoke coming out of their ears, their minds were blown. They were completely confused. They refused to give me the paperwork needed to get a bonded title. They said only the supervisor knows how to do that. I asked them if they have ever read transportation code 501-504. They just looked at me. So their entire job is based around these codes and nobody in this office has read them. Anyway I went back 8 more times and every time the "Supervisor" wasn't in. Finally I got someone to call the main office and they came back with an answer that says because it doesn't have a 17 digit VIN I can only title it but not register it, because it doesn't meet the FVSS. Well I showed them that 30 fire departments were using these as Brush Trucks in the state of Texas and explained that there is no federal exemption for fire departments and either they give me the title and registration or they need to pull the registration for these fire departments. Then I told them before you come back and say "Well these are exempt plates" That doesn't matter. I'm a fire fighter and a fire truck has to meet the federal safety standard ohh and these trucks were handed out by the Texas Forestry Service (another state agency). So either the Forestry Service is handing out illegal vehicles or these are legal vehicle and if they are then my truck should be registered. So, they finally relented and gave me my title. From there I went back to the Tax office where I presented my case and had the application printed and filled out for the registration of a military vehicle (which they have never seen before) and I had my bonded title. So they call the department of Motor Vehicles who then told them I couldn't register this vehicle. However, I showed the Tax office the code 504.502. They said they will register it but that their software wouldn't allow them put the stencil numbers as the license plate because the numbers on the vehicle had 9 numbers and the electronic form only allowed for 7 numbers. So, they brought me into an office and called some supervisor at the Department of Motor Vehicles and he asked: Asked does he have insurance "Yes" does he have a bill of sale "Yes" does he have is Title "Yes" Does he have an VFT-135 (appraisal) "Yes", Does he have and inspection "Yes". Okay, "Then register his vehicle". Then the people at the tax office said but the number on the truck won't fit in the screen. He said "then issue him a Military Vehicle Plate." At this point I wasn't about to argue. It is registered as an FMV and I have to attach a plate. I'll go back in a year and rub off a couple of the stenciled letters and get the plate requirement removed.
Mind is blown here as well. Why did you not use the paperwork that the seller provided you to apply for title? Bonded titles are for when you don't have any paperwork at all.

Craig Tobias

Because I bought my second hand from someone who bought it from GP. He never got the SF97. So all I had was the Bill of Sale from Connecticut. The tax office wouldn't accept this.

scottmandu

Because I bought my second hand from someone who bought it from GP. He never got the SF97. So all I had was the Bill of Sale from Connecticut. The tax office wouldn't accept this.
I think you can still get an sf97 from the gov...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you can still get an sf97 from the gov...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
The original buyer can but if it's past 30/60/90 days of sale (which ever they stated now) they could deny the request. I don't know why one would buy a vehicle without a clean title in hand. :shrugs:

86m1028

The original buyer can but if it's past 30/60/90 days of sale (which ever they stated now) they could deny the request. I don't know why one would buy a vehicle without a clean title in hand. :shrugs:
I thought the same thing also, but my tax office NOW refuses to wave the late fee for title transfers from the government!!
I WILL NOT pay late fees for their laziness !
One truck (m915) will be parted out.
The 2nd (m916) I will just use tags off my other truck IF I drive it on the road.

gjswt19

I finally got it registered and titled after several trips to the tax office. The last trip I had to the tax office I had the Florida Title and the inspection paperwork, no problem at all.

Levelox

I just registered my M1078 with TX. They have no idea how to do it at the tax office. They first have to look under antiques. Yes I know, these are not all antiques, mine is a 1996. But have them first look under antiques. There they will find the military trucks. You can either get a license plate or get a number to paint on the back of the truck. The registration is good for 3 years. The current registration is good till 2018. After 2018 you have to do it again and it will be good for 3 years. They don't know the value so you can tell them whatever you want for value.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks