• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A-0 Fuel Solenoid wiring, help please...

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After returning from our Overland Expo Trek, it came time to remove the three post fuel solenoid borrowed from a CAT loader and install the new one. Thinking I have the wiring correct, I do not get a 'click' from the new two post unit and the starter does not work.

Can someone have a quick look at theirs and let me know which wires go where.

As a disclaimer, I did spend an hour with the TM's this afternoon and did find the install/remove instructions. I could not find a schematic showing which wires connect to the posts which are unmarked on the new one. The older three-post unit had Ground, Stop and Start labels cast into the plastic.

Much thanks in advance and maybe we can make this a 'Sticky' for the next victim???

Pointman

IMG_3251.jpg

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After much more digging into the TM's, I did find a schematic page showing the connections which I will attach once my scanner hooks up.

That being said, there was one wire not correctly labeled per the schematic, #TL66. It show on the schematic as simply 54.

So, there are three wires going to the fuel solenoid. TL29, TL28 and TL66. TL 29 is connected by itself with TL28 and TL66 sharing a connection.

After connecting them, I hit the mater switch and ... nothing! I dropped the cab and headed to the circuit breaker panel and found the circuit breaker for the Trans ECU tripped from a prior starting attempt.
Once reset it fired up immediately with a shot of ether. All is well and were back on the road!

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After I got it running again, we took a friend out locally for a short drive.

A half-mile from home, it quit with the fuel gauge in the yellow (enough???). Towed it home with the wife's F-250 Super Duty.

Now its lost its prime, and we know how much fun that can be...:doh:

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why yes, we are on a first name basis!

At least when the fire went out I had a vague idea of where to start looking. I knew it was most likely not another fuel cutoff solenoid.. I'm usually such a freak about keeping fuel in the tank... Doh!!

Pointman

pontiac62

Why yes, we are on a first name basis!

At least when the fire went out I had a vague idea of where to start looking. I knew it was most likely not another fuel cutoff solenoid.. I'm usually such a freak about keeping fuel in the tank... Doh!!

Pointman
So your saying you ran it out of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly, I believe I ran it out of fuel. It was showing 1/8 on the gauge at the time. Not sure if the gauges or float is adjustable or not.

I will have time this weekend to re-prime and fire it up again. Going forward I will fill up after it hits 1/4 tank.

Pointman

pontiac62

Hope that is all that is wrong with it. Could have swore people have said don’t totally trust your gauges. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

coachgeo

Ok folks, I found it..... [pdf image]... In the schematic for the Solenoid wiring, lead TL28 and TL66 are 'hot', and attach to one post. The other post is ground and TL29 attaches to that. This is on an A0 model, your truck may vary. Pointman
There is wire 54 labeled in schematic that is hooked along with TL28 to solenoid..... Is wire 54 relabled TL66 on some other page? It is not labeled such in your linked page so just curious oh how/where 54 became TL66

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was discovered through the process of elimination. TL28 and TL29 were clearly labeled. TL66 was the only lead left. It could have been an update done after the TM was printed. It works, so I went with it.
If anyone has an updated schematic page, please share, thanks.

Pointman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks