• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A 5 Ton Headache

absolutemoon

Let me preface by saying, she ran fine yesterday. I just flushed the coolant out and installed a block heater as its getting cold and she is not a cold weather friendly.(83 M923a1) Topped off the coolant and whaala, she's as good as new. Had her running and brought her up to temp, checked coolant and added as necessary. This was yesterday (50* outside). Waited for nightfall to try out the block heater. Had it plugged in for about 2 1/2 hours, block felt warm, and she wouldn't start. Crank and crank and wouldn't fire up. The only thing I did that was out of the ordinary was check for water in the fuel canister (Black canister next to the IP with the petcock valve at the bottom.) My thought was I let air in the system somehow. (28* last night) This morning, I plugged the block heater in again and waited about 2 hrs (38* outside) and primed the injector pump to make sure she had good flow. There was 1 pump of foam/diesel mix and the rest was a strong stream of diesel. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to troubleshoot? The batteries (2) (1000) CA each are currently on the charger as she didn't seem to have enough juice to continue. They were running down pretty good. As always, thanks for the input.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 250 likes a little sniff of Ether when it is cold.

Start cranking and then just shoot it towards the air cleaner. Don't shoot a bunch in into the cleaner and then start it.

absolutemoon

I was hoping the block heater would eliminate the use of ether. I have heard horror stories of people over using it or using it improperly and having serious problems down the road. Since I am not a mechanic by trade, I thought the heater was the safest bet. But to respond, I did try that yesterday. Motor cranked faster for a bit, but did not fire up.

Artisan

It's something silly...

Trace your steps, look at where your hands were. Did you accidently
bend anything, unplug something, do any weird voodoo?
Are you out of fuel?

Get the batteries topped off but GOOD, crank he engine and squirt ether
while cranking thru the air cleaner up high.

Battery Switch is on?

When you flip on the battery switch on do you get 6 clicks? 3 in front, 3 in back? (Meaning the ABS working ok...)

Your Battery cables / connections have all been serviced, all are clean and tight FOR SURE ???
( You can not tell by just looking! )

Have you looked for the problem a LOT of these have with the battery cables
rubbing the left rear corner of the engine, in that area, right where it is
impossible to see things?
The only way I could look for that really bad issue was to
disconnect the battery's, then disconnect the battery wires, (2), at the starter
and do whatever is necessary to make sure you can EYES ON every last inch
of those cables! One of MINE WAS RUBBED RAW and it still ran but there were issues!
Till I move my batteries I fixed it by sliding a very thick piece of rubber Dishwasher Drain hose
OVER the battery cables from the starter where I disconnected them, thus covering the areas
of worn insulation w/ the dishwasher drain hose, it worked WELL. I have seen this problem
personally and I have read about it MANY TIMES and in my book it is a MANDATORY PMCS.
that all 5 Tonners should do ASAP.

I am assuming you have an A0 or A1

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you drained the large black filter cannister by the drivers wheel well it will take more than a few primer pumps to refill it you still have air in the system.

goldneagle

You can try to pressurize the fuel tank (5 to 7# is enough) and then see if you can start the engine or you may find a leak in the hose going from the fuel filter to the IP.

absolutemoon

when I went to see if there was any water in the bottom of the fuel pump, nothing came out. With me still learning about this truck, and not reading all 7 million pages of TM's, its likely that I didn't open the valve enough for anything to come out. So I don't think that's the issue.

absolutemoon

You can try to pressurize the fuel tank (5 to 7# is enough) and then see if you can start the engine or you may find a leak in the hose going from the fuel filter to the IP.
I will check that in the morning. Second battery is almost topped off. Temps are chilly now (34* @ 9pm) so I'm gonna wait till daylight and higher temps. Will post results.

absolutemoon

It's something silly...

bend any thing, unplug something, do any weird voodoo? Are
you out of fuel?

Get the batteries topped off, crank he engine and squirt ether

Battery Switch is on?

When you flip on the battery switch do you get 6 clicks? 3 in front, 3 in back? (ABS working ok?)

Yours Battery cables / connections have all been serviced, all is clean?

The only way I could look for that issue was to
disconnect the battery's, then disconnect the battery wires (2) at the starter
and do whatever necessary to make sure you can EYEYS ON every last inch
of those cables. MINE WAS RUBBED RAW. Till I move my batteries I fixed
it by sliding a very thick pice of rubber Dishwasher Drain hose OVER the battery
cables coving the worn insulation areas. I have seen this problem and I have
read about it MANY TIMES.

Batt switch is on.

Topping off last battery now.

I will check the batt cables in the morning.

You have me perplexed on the "clicks" Anytime I start the beast, The alarm for the E-brake and/or low pressure is ringing in my ear so I wouldn't hear any clicks. What is actually clicking that I should look for?

it is an A1

absolutemoon

It's something silly...

bend any thing, unplug something, do any weird voodoo? Are
you out of fuel?

Get the batteries topped off, crank he engine and squirt ether

Battery Switch is on?

When you flip on the battery switch do you get 6 clicks? 3 in front, 3 in back? (ABS working ok?)

Yours Battery cables / connections have all been serviced, all is clean?

The only way I could look for that issue was to
disconnect the battery's, then disconnect the battery wires (2) at the starter
and do whatever necessary to make sure you can EYEYS ON every last inch
of those cables. MINE WAS RUBBED RAW. Till I move my batteries I fixed
it by sliding a very thick pice of rubber Dishwasher Drain hose OVER the battery
cables coving the worn insulation areas. I have seen this problem and I have
read about it MANY TIMES.

I regards to being out of fuel, That was my thinking as well. I know I was low but I had just started it up in the driveway earlier in the day to circulate the coolant. I did add 5 gal thinking maybe that was the problem. That is why (and the fact that I was messing with the drain valve under the FF) I though I had sucked in air. So when I Pumped it manually, I opened the valve under the IP and pumped her a few time and had a nice strong, full stream.

absolutemoon

The clicks are the ABS doing a test.there kinda quiet.
Ok. I have never heard them. My ABS light stays on (UGH!!), but that has never hindered it starting up. That only hinders me driving it around town. That's my next problem to address. Will keep that for another thread. Lol

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you drained that whole big filter cannister it needs to completely refill with fuel to get all the air out. Now is a good time to change the filter in it too. They can get really gunked up. Napa has them.

absolutemoon

If you drained that whole big filter cannister it needs to completely refill with fuel to get all the air out. Now is a good time to change the filter in it too. They can get really gunked up. Napa has them.
Nothing ever came out when I was checking the FF. It was because I only turned it a few turns and tightened it back up. I am still getting the feel for maintain this beautiful hunk of steel. She has been running fine up to now so I am confident she is still full of fuel. I will double check in the morn by opening the valve all the way this time.

R Racing

You have any plans on going to Ocean City tomorrow? I am right on your way. HAHA Just kidding. Just noticed you were in MD also. I'm over on the shore.
No got a guy coming to look at my XM813. I haven't been to OC in years lol. If your ABS isn't working then that's probably why your not hearing the clicking noise. My m816 had some bad fuel lines recently. So I replaced them. To get it primed I gave it a shot of either . It took 2 or 3 trys but then it was good! ! The Cummins 250 needs a good 200 rpm to get started. So if you got a low battery it can be a real pain.

Artisan

when I went to see if there was any water in the bottom of the fuel pump, nothing came out. With me still learning about this truck, and not reading all 7 million pages of TM's, its likely that I didn't open the valve enough for anything to come out. So I don't think that's the issue.

I am skeptical on this post.
It does not make sense to "me".

Take a picture and elaborate... put the picture into a PAINT
program on your box and point/label at what you did.

STOP. DO you have the TM's for this truck?

It is NOT 7 Million pages, and you will be WELL SERVED to look harder at them me thinks...

ALSO look at THIS

You HAVE to learn to master the TM's or you will FOREVER be CLUELESS bro, w/ all due respect...

You gotta do these TM deeds and learn them and when the TM's fail ask Q's bro.