• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A BRAND NEW M1010 for $14k?!?!?!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know who won it, but someone got a M1010 with 73 miles on it.

They paid $12,300

Out of California.

Ok, by the time they pay the GL 10% fee and the taxes, it will be around $14k.

But dang man, SOMEONE GOT A 1984 BRAND NEW M1010. For $14K!!!

Take a look at the auction. Check out the interior. It IS missing batteries, but that's about all. Minor door damage on passenger side door.

Was it ANYONE HERE?

2310 - Passenger Motor Vehicles at Government Liquidation

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nah, it was probably just parked at a National Guard Armory hanger/motor pool type of thing.

And those SEATS! They have not been sat in much in the past 26 years, that's for sure.

ABN173

I was watching that auction too. Not that I was a bidder (too steep for me) but a fair deal considering the shape that one appeared to be in.

Westech

CPL
did you see that something on the passenger side was missing in the engine compartment and the batteries were gone.. 73 miles? we all know that gauge can and many times were changed... not worth 12k at all.. I could rebuild and update one for MUCH less. Remember the parts are still 20+ years old. I will say who ever paid that much is a 100% FOOL.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Or maybe 100,073 miles.

Or 98,713 and 2 weeks ago the instrument cluster caught on fire and they swapped one in.

It is a clean truck, I'll give it that. But I think 73 miles would have a cleaner engine compartment.

dilvoy

That one had the one alternator missing. Looks to have been parked indoors. One of the two of them still had some wrapped items on the passenger seat so I'd say that it was put somewhere indoors and forgotten. The closest thing to a jeep in a crate for the CUCV world that I have seen so far.

armytruck63

It probably got desert dust blown into the engine compartment, which I can tell you can happen with just one windstorm out here.

It looks like the oil filler cap is missing. Having that gone for any period of time worries me.

ABN173

did you see that something on the passenger side was missing in the engine compartment and the batteries were gone.. 73 miles? we all know that gauge can and many times were changed... not worth 12k at all.. I could rebuild and update one for MUCH less. Remember the parts are still 20+ years old. I will say who ever paid that much is a 100% FOOL.
Maybe but the cab interior along with the ambulance portion looked next to new........there would be no way it was in that good of shape with a roll-over on the odometer, perhaps it did not have 73 miles on it but I have seen way worse on under 50k vehicles

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's take the 100k assumption...

The ONLY problem with that is the REST of the trucks interior belies it being used AT ALL.

LOOK at the seats. DUDE, my upholsterer has problems getting it that good with NOS upholstery I gave him. It's difficult to get ALL the details correct.

Also, look at the rear battery tray. The battery cable is wrapped up to protect it.

Plus, I am unaware of ANY mil unit that would go to the trouble of refurbing the inside. A new dash? Sure, but it would have been gray, not brown.

I got a M1028A2 that currently has a little over 16k miles. And TRUST ME, it drives like it.

Granted it's 25+ years old as well, but it was well cared for and rarely driven, because you just can't get a 'new truck ride' out of a 100k truck WITHOUT a complete rebuild, which the military rarely did, and NEVER that I've heard of on any CUCV's.

alphadeltaromeo

Looks extremely nice to me. As long as the new owner is happy, it doesn't really matter. Sure would be nice to see if it's a SS member who can post more pics :grin:

AceHigh

Beautiful truck for sure but

the seals are not new, brake hoses are not new, belts are not new, brake cylinders are not new. Fuel tank is not new, fuel pump is not new yada yada.

I would love to have it for maybe half that. :beer:

jblack6527

I seem to be against the grain with my opinion here, but I think it was a fair deal. Not great, but even with all new interior, you just can't get a truck to look that new. Even if you had to replace every seal, hose, belt, and anything else that was rubber, you would still be in it for less than 16k after getting it home. And for what you're getting, I think that's a good deal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure looks like 73 miles to me. Probably has the original washer fluid in the reservoir.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might have had 73 original miles...but it is a 26 year old Chevy ambulance! That is crazy money. I could see that price IF you could not find nice M1010s, but they are out there. I'd rather have the truck the guy above described as being nice with 7K miles. I bet he is asking reasonable money. $14K before it leaves the yard!?!? Guys get too caught up the bidding. I have won probably more trucks than most on this list and I will say that I lose more than I win. I draw a line in the sand...no matter how nice the truck...and wish the winner good luck after that price has been passed. My motto...let the other guy overpay; if I can't get a truck for a good deal, I don't want it.

Armada

Granted it's 25+ years old as well, but it was well cared for and rarely driven, because you just can't get a 'new truck ride' out of a 100k truck WITHOUT a complete rebuild, which the military rarely did, and NEVER that I've heard of on any CUCV's.
Unless it was processed for extremely long storage and properly stored in a climate controlled environment, rarely driving it is the worst thing they could do for them (there were 2 in that condition/price).

dilvoy

Unless it was processed for extremely long storage and properly stored in a climate controlled environment, rarely driving it is the worst thing they could do for them (there were 2 in that condition/price).

The California desert and Camp Roberts for that matter are good places to leave a car that is not taken care ofas any place that I can think of in regard to moisture, which is the thing that really causes the most trouble with cars that sit. Way better than in many garages in the rust belt, but not as good as in my garage with a cover on it, but the paper wrapping that was sealing the vent on the left rear of one of the ambulances was still clinging on so they weren't in the elements for too many years. I hope whoever bought them trailer them home. Those tires would probably be in bad shape if they are originals. I wonder if anyone has brought a CUCV back to original condition tires and all, with correct OEM date coded parts? These might be the best preserved examples of their type, unless more just like them come up for auction.................. One can only hope.