• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A/C ..... hot topic ;-)

gasser

Ok ok ok ... I know the topic of retro-fitting A/C has been covered here in a few different approaches, but since now I am in a part of the country that needs A/C for like 10 out of the 12 months, I think it's time I start looking into doing this.

I saw a post sometime ago ... and I can't find it anymore. It was a picture of one of those 24v portable (or what seemed to be portable) A/C units that they are are using in the HMMWVs over in Iraq. Does anyone have any leads about these getting these acquired over here and for private sale? I have been looking around GL but not seeing anything.

Also on a personal note, I am hoping to spend more time back here on SS.com . With the recent move, and commitments it's been hard lately.

Thanks for the input,

-graham

gasser

Yeah, I have seen those ... but looking for something to stay in the cab/cargo area. However. I liked how those HMMWV ones were used - if I can stay 'green' ....

Thanks Kenny ...

-graham

devilman96

Saturn HAD a few of the old school hummer AC systems back when I was wondering what path to take on mine... Problem was the size of the things.

Danhard Air makes a ton of conversion systems for trucks and have a few units which you can get up under the dash... Your biggest issue will be over comming the cabin heat, I've even had to go back and work on resealing some air leaks even with all of the insulation I've added. A deuce is simply not an easy truck to get cooled down.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The factory 6.2 civyy trucks had a wonderful firewall insulation panel. Retrofitting that to a CUCV would probably require and engine pull. Now all y'all might call me a sissy but I'd rather buy a civy 6.2 blazer and add CUCV stuff and have that factory air myself. It's just too flippin hot down here for anything else.

gasser

kenny, i am with you on the heat! Ok, so I got until early Spring to get something in the truck ... if I can lay my hands on the of the rear-cargo HMMWV air units, that would be best idea I think for me. Option #2 would be going with somesort of danhard air, JCW, or transplant Air unit.

-graham

J2H

Our CUCVs in Germany (one of them) had A/C... but we never used it except for once... it was always too damn cold

devilman96

24V is not a problem with AC systems, you can do anything with 24 that you can do with 12V.

Kenny hit the nail on the head. You can do all of the insulation you want on the inside of the vehicle but its the outside that counts when it comes to stopping heat transfer. Otherwise its just sound proofing!!!

mangus580

Re: RE: A/C ..... hot topic ;-)

devilman96 said:
24V is not a problem with AC systems, you can do anything with 24 that you can do with 12V.
I think the comment here is more of the extra alternator problem....

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: A/C ..... hot topic ;-)

a lack of space under the hood problem, since you need a fair amount of belt contact for the compressor not to slip the belt. you would have to get the crank pulley from a humvee for the 4th belt groove and then mount the compressor with a long snout to be able to extend past the other belts. bets place would be below the passenger side alt.

gasser

RE: Re: RE: A/C ..... hot topic ;-)

I saw a pic of a CUCV with an AC compressor, with both alternators. It was mounted below the pass alternator, and I *believe* it used the same belt (it was just longer). I should have saved that picture .....

Regarding the 24v ... I don't want to jimmy-rig it ... I want to keep the built 24v system. I am determined to keep the 24v setup and run AC!
I got till Spring!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks