• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A/C Install in 1995 M1078

scottmandu

So here beings my quest to install A/C into my 95 LMTV. Today I got the crank pulley nearly installed.

2016-06-05 15.24.52.jpg2016-06-05 15.24.39.jpg2016-06-05 14.58.01.jpg2016-06-05 16.26.28.jpg2016-06-05 15.44.33.jpg
However the existing bolts were about 5mm too short so tomorrow I plan to get the proper bolts and finish the install.

It's also a great time to clean up and re lube the fan clutch.

Attachments

Last edited:

agazza2

Can you post more information about the larger turbo install? Including the P/N and the difference you see in performance? Was it a direct bolt in, or did you have to make modifications.

scottmandu

The turbo is a hybrid S300. The only mods required was invreasing the stock lmtv turbo to intercooler tube from 2 inch to inches. I plan to make a new tube at a later date. Right now the butt dyno doesn't report any change in performance. I plan to turn up the fuel this weekend. Also the larger turbine housing is closer to the fresh air inlet pipe so I plan to wrap the turbo and pipe.

DanM7890

Very interested in the turbo upgrade as well. Did you hear about this from someone else or just had a larger turbo sitting around and you threw it on. I have a holset hx35 sitting here :twisted:

Last edited:

scottmandu

Very interested in the turbo upgrade as well. Did you hear about this from someone else or just had a larger turbo sitting around and you threw it on. I have a holset hx35 sitting here :twisted:
The turbo is specifically sized for the application, easy fitment and HP goals.

Lmtv772

Banned
The turbo is specifically sized for the application, easy fitment and HP goals.
what application are you using it for? or do you mean the LMTV application in general? Did you have to modify the intercooler piping?
sounds like a neat upgrade

scottmandu

what application are you using it for? or do you mean the LMTV application in general? Did you have to modify the intercooler piping?
sounds like a neat upgrade
Yes the turbo is sized for the M1078 and the use I plan on having for it. The discharge tube diameter had to be increased to 3 inches from 2 inches. That is the only modification required.

scottmandu

I'm debating on weather or not to get the 350hp injectors. There is also a company that can hone the injectors and rebuild them with larger plungers. They said that they have gotten over 1000hp out of the 3116 for tractor pulls, but stress that longevity is greatly reduced.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome, I hope to follow in your foot steps this summer, if i can source parts that is. the larger turbo should help reduce egt's a little with the fuel rack adjusted for more fuel. Don't forget to install an egt gauge to know when to let of the go pedal when having too much fun.

scottmandu

Hope you update us with MPG changes; even if none, the turbo gives you. Same wish when you go for injector mods.
I don't anticipate the turbo giving much economy gain, the the high speed gears and 53 inch tires should lower the cruise RPM into a much more efficient range.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cat should find the best mpg between 1900 and 2100 from the research I've done. The 3116 is known to build heat fast when increasing rack travel. I think high speed gears alone should bring 60mph to around the 2100 mark. I know I read that on here someplace. Of course that a/c of yours will cost you some mpg, so you may want to send those parts to me to dispose of for you.

Ive always thought the turbo on these was rather conservative, and an area where some improvements could be made. However the inter cooler may become a limiting factor, as not designed for a lot of boost pressure. I've seen some engine builds expose every weak link in the system.

one thing I would like to add to mine is an exhaust brake, but may have the early pin version of the wtech II that requires a lot more modifications.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
However the existing bolts were about 5mm too short so tomorrow I plan to get the proper bolts and finish the install.
Do you have the size and lengths of the new bolts? I'm trying to gather all the info on new bolt sizes from you and OverDrive so I can have everything in one spot for the install of mine. I'm guessing others would appreciate the info as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks