• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A/C installation for S250

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Everyone,
We've been working on our S250 shelter lately and have been taking about adding air conditioning. This shelter has no panels for electricity and no cut out for a military AC unit. I've seen someone use a small window unit before. Any ideas or suggestions are helpful.

armytruck63

You could try a small roof-top RV air conditioner, but you would have to cut a hole in the roof. Many of these units provide heat too.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to add a/c to my s280 in the near future and have the same problems you do. I can't seem to find any info about how the framework is laid out which you need to know before you start cutting holes in the side or roof.

I don't really like the idea of a rooftop unit. I don't like cutting holes in the roof and it seems to be in danger of low limbs.

I have looked at the mini split units. The problem there is name brand cost a fortune. You can get the off brands (read China) reasonable but I'm going to have to do a little more research to see how durable they are. With the mini splits you'll just have to drill a couple of small holes for the refrigerant lines and electrical.

tim292stro

The roof will sag with an AC on top just enough to pool water around the unit (and leak...). I would recommend a window-type unit or an in-room ducted type.

Gichner publishes the interior framing drawing and the TM on their site for both the S-250 and the S-280 - click the "related media" tab - the S250 and S-280 are built to a MIL-STD so despite the various vendors they should be "close enough".

For my project, I'm building a DC-variant of a mini-split, but I think you should be able to do a retail mini-split if you can fit the outdoor unit on your shelter in a place it doesn't get in the way, and that greatly reduces the size of any holes you poke in the shelter itself.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you very much. I've heard bad things about the riff top units. I only pan to use A/C so having no heat wouldn't be a problem. What size do people unit recommend?

tucker79

Iv been looking for a affordable solution myself but for the cab and not wanting block my rear window and toolbox there is room for a 6000 btu window shaker on the drivers fender aft of the air filter and duct it into foot vent run off inverter UGLY yes but I think some OD green will help and easily removed when not needed was also thinking roof top but worried it would use more power not that I know anything about AC or electric just know its HOT in there

tim292stro

6000-9000 btu should do you for a space that small - even painted flat black.

For those who cannot do a window unit out the front (overhanging the cab) or out the side since it could hit something while you're driving, there is someone who did a slide-out for an AC, it's tucked in the shelter while under way, and pushes out when stopped for more interior space.

I can't find the pictures right now, but if you think of two pieces of Unistrut bolted to the ceiling inside working as a track the A/C tray hangs down from the track on unistrut rollers. There would be a door on the outside which is weather-tight when closed, you open or remove that door when parked, then the A/C tray can slide out the hole provided by the open/removed hatch until the inside frame seals against the opening. It's then weather-tight in the open position and you can run your A/C without losing the space while underway. The Unistrut adds structure specifically for the A/C weight.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that link Tim. I kind of had something like that in my mind but didn't know if it would work.

My main problem is that I'm going to have bunk beds in the front of my S280. If I mount a window unit sticking out the front, whoever is sleeping in the top bunk is going to be staring right at the unit and freeze to death.

Window units are dirt cheap compared to other options. My shelter has a tall narrow opening in the side that had some sort of AC unit in it that appears to have sat in the floor. It already has a door on it, all I'd have to do is fab up a track in the ceiling. I'd also have some room left at the bottom of the opening that I could install some glass to let in a little light.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone. It sticking off the front wouldn't be a big problem for use as this is going on a hmmwv. Will post pics when we get the unit installed