• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Christmas visit to Death Row

91W350

The boys and I went out early this morning to drink tea with the liar's club. I left the boys in the pickup while I went in for tea. The rest of the club drinks coffee. We left there in the M1008 and went to the yard for the boys to burn off some energy. I was looking at the five tons that came in this week.... trying to pick out the ten best tires for Speedwobble. Anyway, I snapped a few photos of Death Row. I found a couple of heaters and a M813 with a winch. The PTO, shaft and shifter are all there, so my upcoming five ton purchase can include non-winch trucks! Cheaper and easier to find!

I was looking at some 900 series trucks, but it seems criminal to sprout out to a 900 series when we have all of these 800 series parts trucks here. While I was walking along in the early light, I could not help but to look at these once proud soldiers and wonder where they had served. Seems like a terrible loss.... one day we will wish we had a few back. Glen

Ever wonder why my windshield always has slobber marks? Now you know....what makes a dog insist on having his nose as close to the glass as possible????

Attachments

91W350

I would have to check, most of these that have heaters have them mounted deuce style, on the driver's side with the deuce air box. I think the cores are the same though.

KsM715

:shock: WINCH PARTS. I suppose that one is missing the trans?

Also, any of them have the spare tire davit parts?

(I'm still holding scrap iron and cash for my run over there when your 101's get in)

91W350

:shock: WINCH PARTS. I suppose that one is missing the trans?

Also, any of them have the spare tire davit parts?

(I'm still holding scrap iron and cash for my run over there when your 101's get in)
The trans and PTO are in the box, the shaft and shifter are in the truck. It appears to be complete except for the top plate and it may be in the box covered with snow. I am hanging onto those parts until I get my five ton bought. I no longer have to find a winch truck! I am not sure what you need on the spare tire racks, but the 820s should have anything you need for the 818.

KsM715

Good call on saving those parts. I have the winch I just need everything behind it all the way back to the pto and controls.

Edit: be sure to get all the mounting plates, inside and out, took me quite awhile to find those outer frame rails at a reasonable price.

timothy1

Just one question if a guy ever showed up with cash and trailer could he ever buy parts? I know what they're fate is but didn't know if someone needed part if they could get something that they can't find off someone else partingout, vs going to the big suppliers?

91W350

Wow.. A 4ID 704th Main Support Battalion truck. Im sure that was at Ft Hood the same time I was. Cool.
Little things like that I really enjoy, thanks for posting it up. It gives character to what we have and I enjoy history. I wish I could keep them all, but that is not possible. I wish they could talk... I really do! Glen

KsM715

My question is how did a truck Gl'ed out at Hooks or Hood wind up in Kansas?
Not necessarily (sp?) GL'd out of Hooks or Hood. I've seen trucks in the Ft Riley GL lot that were hauled in from the SDNG. (South Dakota National Guard). Also Ft Riley has a huge 900 series rebuild program (I think thats what it is, I know they were getting rebuilt there) Your jaw would drop if you saw the lots and lots of fenced yards that have 5tons parked bumper to bumper. Most of them look used and abused.

edit: there's one armored up gun truck in one of those yards and if I ever get brave enough I'll snap some pics. Its parked right on the fence line.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5 ton heater core has both the inlet and outlet tubes with a 90º bend just out of the heater core. The deuce heater core is straight.

SPCWarning

What a shame....

..........at least some good parts are being salvaged. And as badly as I want a big truck...........dang. I'll just have to save pennies til I can afford a repairable running one like the long wheel base 55 in Georgia. Thanks for posting, they look sad.:(

91W350

This batch is in better shape than the 20 we have in the other yard. They are really rough, they just are not feasible as runners, by the time we fix brakes, find good tin, replace broken windows, fix the exhaust (all the stacks are rusted at the J), source an engine and clutch, fill the fluids and fix the leaks, we would be in the current M923-M925-M931-M932 price range. We would still have the rusty floor and rotted wiring issues, interiors are bad, it just never ends, or so it seems. I think salvaging what we can to help guys out and kissing them goodbye is the only way out. I sure would like to have a nice M813/M818/M810.... Glen

91W350

Big Bertha has arrived!

I went out to see if I could find the top plate for the winch, which I was lucky enough to get done. The top plate is in good shape! I was pleasantly surprised! I had a couple of other requests, so I was looking for those as well. I spotted the Bertha name... seems fitting! Glen

Attachments

Speedwoble

Seeing those trucks in person takes some of the sting off things. Everything has a beginning and an end, and after serving with all they had, these trucks are ready for their end. Glad they could help out others with some parts. Thanks Glen!

91W350

Speedwobble stopped by and picked up a load of parts, I tried to be more than fair on price as he did the work. He is right though, these are beyond repair, not saying it cannot be done, it just cannot be done for what you can buy a nice complete running truck for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks