• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A couple of M1009 questions --

Buckeye2000

I've been through several threads for info and wondered if anyone has an opinion/advice to share - the speedometer is out on my M1009, and I figure it pretty much has to be either the cable or the plastic gear. I just got it yesterday so I don't know how it was acting before it quit (I'm checking with the seller). Would it make sense to check one before the other? Neither seems like a really tough job.
I also saw in the CUCV specs a couple of links for fuel-fired block heaters. Anyone have a particular block heater they would recommend? I have outdoor power and am open to a plug in heater as well - just wondered what some of you other cold weather folks use.

Ken_86gt

Does the odometer move either? I would check the plastic gear first, it seems easier to me. If you have a helper spin the gear end you should see the speedometer bounce a little.

If you have electric available, I would go for that as it would cost less than paying for the fuel and also the cost of the heater. I doubt that you "need" one though. I remember many times starting these things when it was 0 degrees out and they still started. Just need a good battery when it is cold.

Last edited:

Buckeye2000

Thanks for the input. I'll give the gear a try tomorrow evening. The odo is out as well, so you're probably right.
I'll see how the winter goes before I add a block heater. I just wondered what others were running. I've had a couple of other civilian 6.2s and they usually did fine.

kipman

Got my block heater at Oreilleys in Lancaster, the package is not near me, but they had three sizes and it took the larger size. I think I paid 26.00. If you get in a jam pm me, I am sort of close.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks